thinking of buying an 09 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
According to the bottom of that manual you sent it says all 4wd Yukon xls came with 3.42 gears and have a towing capacity of 7900lbs am I missing something? Cause that tells me it’s 7900 not 5400? This is too complicated lol

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Also I’d like I note that I live in the blue ridge mountain range of Virginia so it’s basically all mountains around me so that may play a role in some decision making lol

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Welp I did some more digging and I’m not confused anymore lol I see how it’s only 5400lbs which is kind of a bummer but oh well thanks for all the help man!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp I did some more digging and I’m not confused anymore lol I see how it’s only 5400lbs which is kind of a bummer but oh well thanks for all the help man!
You're welcome. My truck came from that area, Martinsburg, WV. Drivetrain in great condition, a little rusty underneath (chassis not body), no rot or corroded bolts.

There will be others, don't discount traveling to get what you want.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
Am I mistake by saying the hd towing package is basically a bigger radiator and trans cooler? Cause according to that brochure all Yukon xls got the hd suspension and mine has the 3.42 gears?

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
And the funny thing is I wasn’t looking I work at a Honda dealer and they got it in as a trade and figured I would check it out and they let me drive it for the weekend but given it won’t do what I want it to I’m gonna have to just keep my Tahoe (which tows my camper perfectly fine she does struggle a little on hills but not terribly)

The only thing I worry about is the 4l60 and I will say this 6speed in the Yukon is a big difference then that 4speed lol

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’re on the right track. Keep your eyes peeled for a 09 YXL Denali. You’ll get the one year only L9H non cylinder deactivation / Non AFM motor & the upgraded trans. It’s e85 compatible w/ the brute 6.2L motor that’s common to go for 400k miles. The base Denali is loaded in 09 and tows an impressive 7900lb.

With standard 20” rims self air leveling rear struts and magnetic ride all around, the 09 Denali XL is the unicorn and 1st to none if you’re in an area where you can fill up with e85 at 1/2 the price of premium like here in Cali.

Airman68

Reaction score
I was hesitant about buying my 08 Yukon XL for several reasons. Afm and oil pressure issues, which I had on past vehicles. I bought this truck purely out of necessity because there wasn't much else out there at the time. Overall, it's a nice rig and comfy. That said, if I could have found a descent pre 2007 I would have hands down bought that first. Those engines are bulletproof and easy to work on, no AFM crap to deal with. Had at least 3 of them well into 300k miles with no issues. I'm sure many have had good luck with the 07 and newer, just not my experience.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with PETETHEPUG. I owned a 2003 yukon and it was nice. Sold it and it's still kicking for the next guy who doesn't do a lick of maintenance.....poor thing.

After that I found a 2007 Denali and was hooked on the 6.2L and 6 speed trans. Drove the wheels off that one, then bought a 2009 Denali XL. That thing was a road trip dream wagon. Smooth, throaty sound, decent mpg. I purposely chose 2007-09 because I didn't want any AFM junk to deal with.

Now my wife has a 2017 Denali 6.2L. I put in a RANGE Device as soon as I got it home and it's been in V8 mode ever since w/o any issues. Currently at 114k.

I missed my older 6.2L so I went to CA and bought a decently maintained 2008 Denali as my beater truck / off road exploration rig.
If you are serious about upgrading in the future, I would highly recommend looking out west for what you like and do a one way flight there and drive home. I'm from WI and the Salt just kills vehicles here if they aren't rust proofed from day one. I buy gently used southern or western vehicles, do a little maintenance, and then rust proof the heck out of them and they look good long after the originals to the area are starting to rust out. Plus any future maintenance is a lot easier to do since the fire wrench isn't needed to get bolts loose, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts