thinking of buying an 09 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more items to think about when looking foe your yukkn xl. I'd going towards the Denali line, you will have AWD and that's it. It works just fine, but you can't go to 2wd or have a 4-low option if that's something you use or may need. 1st gear with the 6 speed is low, but not like low range would be. Also note there since they are AWD, rhe front differential gets VERY dirty with glitter if they aren't changed regularly. Not to say they will blow up, I've had 4 that all were silver-ish when drained and not one ever failed. Just something to ask about when looking.

Fluids and filters are your cheapest insurance against any failures. If you find that guy.who was good on that, you'll probably have a good vehicle to buy.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that 09 was a true one-off year for the Tahoe, Yukon and Tahoe. 09 Yukon, Esky and Tahoe were available in 2WD. If 4WD is a must, you can swap out the front diff from AWD to 4WD with very few mods and add on's. I'm not sure if the 2WD option carried on all the way to 2014.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
ok so ive decided to look for a 12-14 yukon xl denali. i found a 13 in my area that has 125k on it, a clean carfax they want $19995. is this a good price for this? i can put the listing in the post if anyone wants to check it out but i checked the value of it and it says fair market value is 15-17k and average price is like 16.5k. its also been listed for a while. just wanted to see if 20k is a good price for one of these.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. The price of all those years has dropped quite a bit in the last 3 months or so from what I've seen from private sellers. Even the value of my 2008 has lost almost 30%. This usually follows a next generation that's become available which is good for those who don't mind used and want to save $$$.

I'd go in with a good low offer. What do you have to lose? Compare stuff on FB, Craigslist, etc to find the going private sale rates and also see how long they've been TRYING to sell said truck.

Patience pays off

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so ive decided to look for a 12-14 yukon xl denali. i found a 13 in my area that has 125k on it, a clean carfax they want $19995. is this a good price for this? i can put the listing in the post if anyone wants to check it out but i checked the value of it and it says fair market value is 15-17k and average price is like 16.5k. its also been listed for a while. just wanted to see if 20k is a good price for one of these.
Post a link so we can look it over.

OP
OP
C

Chughart

Reaction score
theres the link. its a small used car lot and they have some hit or miss vehicles. i work at a honda dealership and had them run a carfax on it and it is a clean 2 owner car with some decent(ish) maintenance. i have yet to go see it but if i can get over there tomorrow i will but i feel 20k is a bit steep given the used car market has decreased and the book value is 15500-17500 according to KBB.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's well optioned and may have been repainted or touched up here and there. The interior has normal wear and tear after 13 years.

Never heard of those tires, don't know what the dashes across the front movie player mean, if anything.

If she's cleaner than the competition, then it probably is worth a little more to get it, especially if you are not going to buy a car far from home.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at the pics, it looks pretty clean. I don't see any corrosion on the trailer hitch which is usually a give away that things are rotting out. The engine bay looks good, no rusty pulleys or corroded aluminum. And, on the pic showing the front tire turned, the frame still looks decent by the rack and pinion.

I'd crawl under and just look at the frame and see what he general appearance looks like. Run your fingers under the weather straps on the doors to feel for corrosion. Look into the front fenders with the doors open and see if they are clean, or packed with road sand, etc.

I like the overall appearance of it, but still wouldn't pay 20k

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking at the reviews from owners who bought vehicles there I would not touch it unless a good independent mechanic or a mobile mechanic [with excellent reviews] checked it out from top to bottom. Try to get some service records. All that just IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87