Thicker steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I miss about the new body style Grand Cherokee I had is the thicker steering wheel. Is there anyone here that has a thicker steering wheel in their GMT900 or know of a place that does them?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I think the Grant steering wheels are definitely thicker. Thats one thing I love about the 2014 pickups is the steering wheel.

OP
OP
J

Juniorss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a place in TX that will recover the wheel and add padding for about 340 including shipping back. The only problem is that I can't be without my wheel. Does anyone know if I can buy a base wheel with no electronics (cruise control/audio controls) and swap over all the electronics to it?

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a wheelskins leather steering wheel cover ($60), high quality and it's a super snug fit to the point that you can feel all the finger grooves on the back of the wheel.

You squeeze the cover over the steering wheel, then using a large needle and leather string they provide, "sew" the cover tightly around the wheel.

It took about 20 minutes to do, but was well worth it. You wont even notice its not the stock steering wheel. I'll snap a pic of it and post it later.

http://www.autoanything.com/steeringwheel-covers/60A3792A0A0.aspx

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can buy a base wheel with no electronics (cruise control/audio controls) and swap over all the electronics to it?

Yes you can. I have a spare wheel that the leather is very smooth (about 100k miles on it) that I would sell for the cost of shipping it, if you need a cheap spare.