Steering wheel change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a steering wheel from a 2014 avalanche. It has the cruise and radio controls.

My truck Being a service unit, all it has is the cruise.

What does it take to get the radio controls to work? Do I need a harness from the column to the radio?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My assumption is that there is a long list of needed items. Probably a harness or 2, then either a new BCM, or programming to activate the options. I'd probably just stick with doing it manually......it's not too far of a reach for the radio. LOL

PaulClaymee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can take a steering wheel from another model if the buttons on it are so important to you. But I wouldn't change anything. The radio is not that far away :D

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way it MIGHT work is if the wheel and buttons come from the same model ie. Tahoe=tahoe. The way the buttons work is an individual 12v reference signal is supplied to each side of the wheel controls, such that each button has a unique resistance value that carries out the desired function. When a button is pressed the returning voltage is read by the BCM to execute the desired function (volume up, volume down, cruise…). Different models might have different resistance values for those buttons, Tahoes wheel controls might not work in a Silverado. The only way to be sure is to look up you model year and find a replacement wheel control part # that would of come on your truck if it had the option and cross reference it to the parts your trying to use. The gamble is hoping your BCM already has the coded information to carry out those functions. I did something similar to my Escalade, going from non electric running boards to electric running boards using the OEM module. I wired it into the labeled fuse box located and the rest according to the schematic and my BCM picked it right up and works flawlessly. I gambled again thinking I could pull this off converting a CTS V wheel to work on my Escalade and found out about the button issues

Last edited:

Sikh_Chevy_Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at a steering wheel from a 2014 avalanche. It has the cruise and radio controls.

My truck Being a service unit, all it has is the cruise.

What does it take to get the radio controls to work? Do I need a harness from the column to the radio?
once you get the airbag removed from the steering wheel youll see the harness for the radio controls coiled up underneath, its pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts