Adding heating steering wheel to 2007 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 417158
Notice the PNK/BLK wires both sides, your right on about the wheel heat, that would be a simple relay to setup.
looks to me like those are just power and ground to the bcm, primarily for the airbag
none of them show heat there is voice, vol up/down, track forward/back, source (ohm shared ground to the radio for 2-way function (note the arrows)), the other side is cruise set/resume (ohm grounded to the bcm), on/off
am I wrong?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's why all you need is the clockspring and of course the desired steering wheel, actually you can add radio controls to any steering wheel (they bolt on)(still need the clock spring), the only thing you can't add is heat unless you wire wrapped it+ the clock spring.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks to me like those are just power and ground to the bcm, primarily for the airbag
none of them show heat there is voice, vol up/down, track forward/back, source (ohm shared ground to the radio for 2-way function (note the arrows)), the other side is cruise set/resume (ohm grounded to the bcm), on/off
am I wrong?
I’m pretty sure the pnk blk is the 12v reference (input) and the grey / LGRN wires are the (output)returning voltage to the BCM.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's why all you need is the clockspring and of course the desired steering wheel, actually you can add radio controls to any steering wheel (they bolt on)(still need the clock spring), the only thing you can't add is heat unless you wire wrapped it+ the clock spring.
I know from experience the 09’ H2 cruise control wheel controls do not work with my Escalades BCM, so they might be specific to at least the model of the vehicle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know from experience the 09’ H2 cruise control wheel controls do not work with my Escalades BCM, so they might be specific to at least the model of the vehicle.
I would take a guess it is because of the pin out of the hummer wheel not being heated? and/or a case of needing a different clockspring, seems like putting a hummer wheel on a escalade is a downgrade

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a guess it is because of the pin out of the hummer wheel not being heated? and/or a case of needing a different clockspring, seems like putting a hummer wheel on a escalade is a downgrade
I bought the cruise control button cluster for a 09’ H2 because it’s exactly the same as the Escalades but has the up shift down shift buttons. It was only 30$ new on Amazon so I took a gamble to see if it would work and found not only did it not work the color of the leds are that lime greenish color from the 90s early 2000s.IMG_0157.png

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the cruise control button cluster for a 09’ H2 because it’s exactly the same as the Escalades but has the up shift down shift buttons. It was only 30$ new on Amazon so I took a gamble to see if it would work and found not only did it not work the color of the leds are that lime greenish color from the 90s early 2000s.View attachment 417167
Ya that's pretty unlikely to work just plug n play, at minimum the shift control would have to go from the shift knob thru the clock spring, probably has a lan chip in it and pinned out different. might even be a lot more different like trying to add factory trailer control to a vehicle without it

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the cruise control button cluster for a 09’ H2 because it’s exactly the same as the Escalades but has the up shift down shift buttons. It was only 30$ new on Amazon so I took a gamble to see if it would work and found not only did it not work the color of the leds are that lime greenish color from the 90s early 2000s.

Ya that's pretty unlikely to work just plug n play, at minimum the shift control would have to go from the shift knob thru the clock spring, probably has a lan chip in it and pinned out different. might even be a lot more different like trying to add factory trailer control to a vehicle without it
I knew the shift control wouldn’t be plug n play but I was hoping the rest of the buttons would have worked. I have schematics for the shift lever wiring but the buttons are integrated into a chip that can’t be removed easily.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like @Doubeleive said, it's powered from the block in the footwell. It's literally a hot and ground. The switch on the steering wheel does not come on automatically, it's a simple "on/off" switch. Don't get in the weeds with it and over complicate it. I bought the harness because I couldn't find a source for the OEM plug to plug into the harness that attaches to the clock spring. Several guys on other posts just clipped the plug off the clock spring and connected a wire to the power source at the block and grounded it under the dash. I opted for the factory style connection for a few dollars more.

@cmatt does harnesses for several things and I highly recommend him.

B-Watt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like @Doubeleive said, it's powered from the block in the footwell. It's literally a hot and ground. The switch on the steering wheel does not come on automatically, it's a simple "on/off" switch. Don't get in the weeds with it and over complicate it. I bought the harness because I couldn't find a source for the OEM plug to plug into the harness that attaches to the clock spring. Several guys on other posts just clipped the plug off the clock spring and connected a wire to the power source at the block and grounded it under the dash. I opted for the factory style connection for a few dollars more.

@cmatt does harnesses for several things and I highly recommend him.
Thanks. Yea I just clipped the connector off that was part of the clockspring, extended the wires and added my own spades. I connected it to the upfitters spot on the floor by the brake pedal as pictured here on the forum. Now the heat only stays on for about 3 seconds when I hit the button, then shuts off. Do i need to add a relay? It also still appears to be drawing current somehow as the voltage fluctuates (I have a digital gauge in the truck). I'm half tempted to just go back to my orignal fuse location when the heat would work and add a toggle switch for the wheel. What's an extra step, right? The radio conrols work flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar