Steering wheel locks up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasTiff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Denali XL

My steering wheel locks up every time I go into the same parking lot. It has a slight dip entering and then I usually turn right as soon as I enter the parking lot. Less then a minute after that I can’t turn my steering wheel. I have to let my truck roll into a parking space, thankfully there are plenty, and then turn my truck off and back on. Sometimes a couple times. Then it’s like nothing every happened. Anyone know what this could be or had any similar issues?

I am new here by the way. Just trying to take care of my truck that is starting to have issues.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm.......does it lock while running? Or after key removal? Sounds bound up to me, if the wheels are left turned to either side

OP
OP
T

TexasTiff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ummm.......does it lock while running? Or after key removal? Sounds bound up to me, if the wheels are left turned to either side
It is while driving, and it is shortly after I make the first right in the parking lot.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a steering gearbox with excessive play that is causing some binding. Other than something severely worn in the suspension system allowing a tire to move to a weird angle at that turn

OP
OP
T

TexasTiff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a steering gearbox with excessive play that is causing some binding. Other than something severely worn in the suspension system allowing a tire to move to a weird angle at that turn
Thank you! I’m new at all this and definitely not mechanically inclined. Any sort of advice or thought as to what I might want to check helps a lot. I will definitely look into that.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a heavy keyring filled? Could be enough for a lock cylinder failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts