The right price for Suburban 2500 6.0L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in his latest vid he had a 2500 in the background that wasn't ready for sale yet.

Looked at the latest video. Saw the 2500 in the background. From the little I saw looks a lot better then the one in Yonkers. He seems to get a lot of supervisor vehicles which is a big plus.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2500 is virtually identical - same year, same color, same options.

If it wasn't beat to shit, I'd say that's a fair price for a low-mileage 2500. 2500 prices are, shall we say, not going down.

Red flags for me....
  • Wasn't garaged, seems to have been ridden hard and put away wet a few too many times.
  • Mileage is suspiciously low - as in I don't believe it.
  • Only used for airport runs, yet there's a hitch ball laying in the back of the truck.
  • That grille guard/front bumper is for playing bumper cars in Manhattan and at the airports. Most NYC taxis have something like that. This was likely a T&LC (livery) vehicle that was driven hard. You can also see the drilled mounting holes on the passenger side of the dash to the right of the center stack - for a smart phone/computer/meter.

I would pass. I would also caution about buying used fleet vehicles. They're usually stripped-down/no frills/no options, and while they've probably been maintained well, the drivers have no pride of ownership, and treat them as such.

Frankly, my garaged 2008 with 206k miles is in better shape than that thing.

If and when I have to replace my 2008, I fully expect I'll have to trawl the entire country and fully expect to be getting on an airplane. My first choice would be finding a lower mileage one in Texas (no rust). It was difficult finding my 2500 when I bought it back in 2013, which was actually the last year they were in production. Much harder to find now, and the really nice ones get snagged by the diesel converters (Duraburb, Duramax Conversions, etc) for diesel swaps.

It comes down to whether or not you believe the odometer reading. See if you can get a carfax or something like that. Assuming you believe it....if it was me....I'd initially offer $16k, and be willing to go as high as $17500.

On the upside, these things are tanks - the entire powertrain is completely over-engineered and overkill for this application. Take care of them, do the maintenance/fluid changes, and they'll easily last 300k miles. Mine is still all original. The engine is good for 400k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2500 is virtually identical - same year, same color, same options.

If it wasn't beat to shit, I'd say that's a fair price for a low-mileage 2500. 2500 prices are, shall we say, not going down.

Red flags for me....
  • Wasn't garaged, seems to have been ridden hard and put away wet a few too many times.
  • Mileage is suspiciously low - as in I don't believe it.
  • Only used for airport runs, yet there's a hitch ball laying in the back of the truck.
  • That grille guard/front bumper is for playing bumper cars in Manhattan and at the airports. Most NYC taxis have something like that. This was likely a T&LC (livery) vehicle that was driven hard. You can also see the drilled mounting holes on the passenger side of the dash to the right of the center stack - for a smart phone/computer/meter.

I would pass. I would also caution about buying used fleet vehicles. They're usually stripped-down/no frills/no options, and while they've probably been maintained well, the drivers have no pride of ownership, and treat them as such.

Frankly, my garaged 2008 with 206k miles is in better shape than that thing.

If and when I have to replace my 2008, I fully expect I'll have to trawl the entire country and fully expect to be getting on an airplane. My first choice would be finding a lower mileage one in Texas (no rust). It was difficult finding my 2500 when I bought it back in 2013, which was actually the last year they were in production. Much harder to find now, and the really nice ones get snagged by the diesel converters (Duraburb, Duramax Conversions, etc) for diesel swaps.

It comes down to whether or not you believe the odometer reading. See if you can get a carfax or something like that. Assuming you believe it....if it was me....I'd initially offer $16k, and be willing to go as high as $17500.

On the upside, these things are tanks - the entire powertrain is completely over-engineered and overkill for this application. Take care of them, do the maintenance/fluid changes, and they'll easily last 300k miles. Mine is still all original. The engine is good for 400k.

Thank you for the crucial points.
I also found that the white New York plate was introduced in June 2020. That means that the truck got the plate (transfer) not long ago. The mileage is too low to be realistic. I will definite pass.

OP
OP
N

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO it has a lot more then 47K miles. Seems it is all city miles and extremely little to no highway miles. I doubt it was garage kept. I would take a pass on this one.

Since your in Yonkers I would expand my search to all of New Jersey plus Rockland and Orange County NY. I would even consider Connecticut and Delaware. But that is just me.

You might want to call Bob at North Jersey Emergency Services. He might be able to find one for you.

Is Bob an auction guy? May I get touch with him? Thank you for the advice.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cent it has more then 47,000 miles something fishy .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to Travel or have it shipped like Bill mentioned there seems to be a lot of nice clean trucks in Texas

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Bob an auction guy? May I get touch with him? Thank you for the advice.

View attachment 264700
Give him a call or text.

Thanks for the add Tony.

Yong yes I would touch with him if I were you. Most of his vehicles are from down South so rust should not be a issue. The mileage will probably mostly be over 100K miles but they will be well maintained. Most are highway miles. Mileage would not scare me as long as maintenance is up to date. Bob can probably pull the service records for you.

With that said I would still have a mechanic check it out to be sure and to make you sleep better. If you do not have a mechanic you can call a Mobile Mechanic [who has a 5 star rating] to come out to your location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys