The financial benefits of maintaining our own cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
View attachment 384977

Danmar Cadet 6000 XL is the best automotive tool / equipment I've ever bought. (look lower left of photo)
Forget jacking up and crawling under your vehicles and all that. Just put her on the lift. Makes brakes, suspension work all that stuff FAR easier.
It paid for itself the second or third time I used it.
I am assuming the "6000" part of the description stands for the max lifting weight?

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming the "6000" part of the description stands for the max lifting weight?
It's not for everyone though. Due to its design (and depending on the vehicle) you probably could not drop a tranny. However, that is beyond what I can do. Or at least, beyond what I am willing to tackle.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost me $1700 shipped. Plus, I had an Audi S4 and shops charge a lot to work on them.
I’ll stick with my floor jack and jackstands. An actual lift isn’t much more than that. I’ve done 3 transmission swaps and honestly with a full frame truck like ours, I lift the entire side with the floor jack in the middle, stick a couple stands under, and I’m done.

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll stick with my floor jack and jackstands. An actual lift isn’t much more than that. I’ve done 3 transmission swaps and honestly with a full frame truck like ours, I lift the entire side with the floor jack in the middle, stick a couple stands under, and I’m done.
Whatever works for you man.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been an informative thread. I agree with the OP in that anything with wheels is a depreciating asset, ESPECIALLY in today's market of overpriced stuff that is almost impossible to work on by oneself.......it's as if it's by design

But, back to topic.

I haven't relied on a mechanic, other than myself, for as long as I've been driving. The ability to do my own maintenance and repairs has saved SO much money over the years. I feel doing my own maintenance gives me the ability to have eyes on my vehicles at a more consistent interval. This prevents surprises from popping up more often than not.

There are caveats though: location is one, previous owner maintenance, etc.

If you live in a rust free area, this makes the whole running it until the wheels fall off way more practical. Rust belt requires much more focused care and prevention that will still add to longevity, but can be a PITA.

Previous owners can be a blessing or a curse......I've had both over the years. Sometimes the best intentions can still come up short, which then makes the used car case more expensive, prohibitive sometimes, or can completely cure someone of wanting to deal with it.

I've found that FOR SALE BY OWNER is the best route to gage what you are getting. And, buying from a rust free area is worth its weight in gold.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever works for you man.
There are too many drawbacks to that type of lift besides the price for me. One is they take up room I don’t want to give up so any time you’re not using it which is 95% of the time it’s taking up half a parking space. It’s not like you can just roll it out if the way. It’s pretty big. The other main issue is it’s only good for wheels and suspension because it’s in the way for you to be able to get under your vehicle and do anything else. If I owned a shop and needed a space for brake and suspension work and didn’t want to spend money on a full lift, I might buy one.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark, I am with you on the floor lift. Got spoiled with my buddy's 2 post lift in his shop and have serious thoughts about doing a mobile 4 post car lift. I am wanting to be able to lift my Mustang up so I can park my wife's car under it - seems logical when you have 20' plus ceilings in the garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator