The financial benefits of maintaining our own cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope he parks it outside!

My sister has a Sportage and she is afraid it is going to spontaneously combust!

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in an apartment atm hard wrenching in the parking lot. I still smile while I’m doin it though!!
That's dedication. A friend and I changed the clutch in a Ford EXP once in an apartment parking lot. We used a tree limb with a come-a-long as the hoist to get the engine out. Literally shade tree mechanics.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been thinking about this a lot recently Dave. Wanted to make sure I wasn't being penny wise and or pound foolish. Paid cash for the truck 5 years ago and have spent the same amount in repairs and maintenance. I keep track of every penny spent on excel and it averages out to $12.45 a day since purchase which also includes tools and accessories for the truck. Shocks, spark plugs, car washes, new floor mats, new wrenches, seal drivers, it's all in there.
Sounds about right but when you put it that way, it's pretty dang expensive. If my numbers are right, the $40K in depreciation the previous owner on my 2012 took works out to about $18.26 a day over 6 years, not including any repairs and maintenance they had done. It was probably worse than that because I'm sure they didn't trade it in for the same price I paid for it.

Truck runs great but how old is too old for when we are old? Will we be able to get parts for the 900s when the youngest ones approach 20 years old? Can we keep these in top condition for a thirty year service life?
We're at 15 years for the 2007's and 9 years for the 2013's. Hopefully we'll have decent parts availability for the next decade anyway. It raises a good point though: are there some parts that we should stockpile if we want to keep them for years to come? As for how long I'll want (or be able to) wrench on my cars, that's a good question. No idea. I should probably set aside some money for when I can't though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right but when you put it that way, it's pretty dang expensive. If my numbers are right, the $40K in depreciation the previous owner on my 2012 took works out to about $18.26 a day over 6 years, not including any repairs and maintenance they had done. It was probably worse than that because I'm sure they didn't trade it in for the same price I paid for it.

We're at 15 years for the 2007's and 9 years for the 2013's. Hopefully we'll have decent parts availability for the next decade anyway. It raises a good point though: are there some parts that we should stockpile if we want to keep them for years to come? As for how long I'll want (or be able to) wrench on my cars, that's a good question. No idea. I should probably set aside some money for when I can't though.
Well, on the other hand, had I bought a newer K2 with less mileage, there would still have been money spent on maintenance, accessories and some tools, and maybe a condenser and transmission by now! I would probably only about now have to spend more on repairs.

I saved the old lower control arms to be rebushed and the old brake calipers and hoses. Back in the day when I had 5 Buicks, I used a large file box with 27 drawers to store parts in, interior parts, O2 sensors, etc. A couple of years ago I came across another one of those drawers and snatched it up and am doing the same thing again. Julia has the Sierra and Jaime will soon have one as well, all 900s. Plus, my wife may add one to the fleet. Either way, we'll start accumulating parts. I saved the old door handles and am going to pick up complete new regular and tow mirrors and new exterior door handles.

In the coming months I'll get that 14-Bolt axle refurbished and stuffed underneath and then save the old control arms to be rebushed as well. Guess I'll hang onto the 8.6 axle for barter or parts if we have room to store it.

Haven't had to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner or any of the accessories yet. Am going to put an alternator and fuel pump assembly on the shelf, along with new tank straps and such for that eventuality. Will try and be proactive.

They took asbestos out of the brakes and now they are removing copper too. The part numbers that I used for my brake jobs have been superseded it seems. Have to do more research on that end.

Have to find my Mitchell crash book and order up any remaining interior parts too. Kids keep breaking the finish panel on the right passenger 2nd row seat, been through 5 of them at $30 a pop! Covers for the seat tracks in the back were missing when I bought it, want those too.

Well, you get the idea, ramblings over for now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, on the other hand, had I bought a newer K2 with less mileage, there would still have been money spent on maintenance, accessories and some tools, and maybe a condenser and transmission by now! I would probably only about now have to spend more on repairs.

I saved the old lower control arms to be rebushed and the old brake calipers and hoses. Back in the day when I had 5 Buicks, I used a large file box with 27 drawers to store parts in, interior parts, O2 sensors, etc. A couple of years ago I came across another one of those drawers and snatched it up and am doing the same thing again. Julia has the Sierra and Jaime will soon have one as well, all 900s. Plus, my wife may add one to the fleet. Either way, we'll start accumulating parts. I saved the old door handles and am going to pick up complete new regular and tow mirrors and new exterior door handles.

In the coming months I'll get that 14-Bolt axle refurbished and stuffed underneath and then save the old control arms to be rebushed as well. Guess I'll hang onto the 8.6 axle for barter or parts if we have room to store it.

Haven't had to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner or any of the accessories yet. Am going to put an alternator and fuel pump assembly on the shelf, along with new tank straps and such for that eventuality. Will try and be proactive.

They took asbestos out of the brakes and now they are removing copper too. The part numbers that I used for my brake jobs have been superseded it seems. Have to do more research on that end.

Have to find my Mitchell crash book and order up any remaining interior parts too. Kids keep breaking the finish panel on the right passenger 2nd row seat, been through 5 of them at $30 a pop! Covers for the seat tracks in the back were missing when I bought it, want those too.

Well, you get the idea, ramblings over for now!
Yup. I think 5-6 years old for one of these is the sweet spot for getting the maximum value for the least money - provided it's from a dry climate and has been well-maintained. For the rust belt, the calculus shifts it to about 4 years. Almost all of the used 2015 and newer trucks for sale around here are shipped in from rust belt states. If I ever buy a new rig, it will be from AZ, NM, TX, or another southern state as long as I can verify the history.

My kids and the dog keep knocking the knobs off the rear HVAC controls. Lol.

Alternators and fuel pumps for these I think will always be available. What I worry about are things like the various control modules, sensors like the steering position sensor, etc, so I've been slowly stockpiling a few things as I run across them. I agree with you on the interior bits, too. I keep spares for the things we seem to consume, including the exterior door handles for the rear doors. The kids brutalize those. Lol.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last rant!

One of the reasons for getting this truck was to make memories and to teach basic mechanics to my children. The Lord blessed me with all girls and having them help me with repairs has given them confidence to take on tasks others recoil at. They now drive forklifts, operate and drive tractors and know more about "cars" than most of the young men in our community. They get a kick out of pulling the "boys" out of the mud and sand with the Sierra. Mission Accomplished!

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last rant!

One of the reasons for getting this truck was to make memories and to teach basic mechanics to my children. The Lord blessed me with all girls and having them help me with repairs has given them confidence to take on tasks others recoil at. They now drive forklifts, operate and drive tractors and know more about "cars" than most of the young men in our community. They get a kick out of pulling the "boys" out of the mud and sand with the Sierra. Mission Accomplished!
Love it! That's our job as dads - to give our kids the skills and experiences they'll need to feel efficacious and live long, happy lives.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it! That's our job as dads - to give our kids the skills and experiences they'll need to feel efficacious and live long, happy lives.
Thought I was learned but had to look that one up! LOL Reminds me of the movie McLintock! where some of the older characters were always trying to figure out the new words the youngsters were using.