The financial benefits of maintaining our own cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark made a good point, in that if you don't put away that money saved, it won't be available for retirement. For me, I budget a specific monthly amount for vehicle costs in a separate bank account every single month, and then I draw from that account as needed for repairs, mods, upgrades, etc. That money is never used for anything else, and I've watched it grow over the years. Now that I'm retired, that savings actually turned into available retirement funds if/when needed.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark made a good point, in that if you don't put away that money saved, it won't be available for retirement. For me, I budget a specific monthly amount for vehicle costs in a separate bank account every single month, and then I draw from that account as needed for repairs, mods, upgrades, etc. That money is never used for anything else, and I've watched it grow over the years. Now that I'm retired, that savings actually turned into available retirement funds if/when needed.
Yes, that's true. Now that I no longer have car payments, I contribute an extra $500 every month to my 401K. We also maintain a separate 'car fund' account at Capital One that we pump money into every month that funds repairs, but we haven't needed to draw on it because I've been able to fund all of it out of our regular monthly budget so far. But it's there in case we have a major expense like an engine or transmission.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The willingness to drive an older car, along with the desire to maintain it in tip-top condition, plus the motivation to continue learning and doing the work, has 2 primary benefits that I see: 1/ That our vehicles remain safe and reliable for our loved ones and us to depend on for any transportation needs while we own them, and 2/ That it's an enormous money savings that will lead to earlier retirement for my wife and me.
I agree 100%. I've saved thousands in repairs, depreciation, insurance, and taxes. I get a lot of satisfaction diagnosing a problem and fixing it for only the cost of the part if need be.
Where I worked before I retired we had a lot of engineers. The guys who drove older cars (even if bought new) and fixed them themselves were typically ALWAYS the best engineers.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points. And if spending a lot of money on a new car and paying the cost of depreciation (leases are also paying for depreciation, of course) is their thing, no judgment here. I was just shocked when I actually sat down and figured out what the true costs of new vs maintaining a used (5-6 years old) vehicle really are.

I was raised without much money (the last of 8 kids to working-class parents), so my perspective definitely skews toward seeing the world through the lens of scarcity. Yet at the same time, one of my best friends grew up the child of a wealthy lawyer turned CEO of a large power company. He's wealthy today too, and also a lawyer, yet buys plain-jane used cars with cash (at least 5 years old), and keeps them going until the wheels fall off. He has a great mechanic that he pays to do any needed work and it still works out very well in his favor. My wife and I also make plenty of money to afford a new car every few years, but when I run the numbers, it doesn't make sense for us. Thankfully, she has a hippie heart and could care less what we drive as long as it's reliable and clean.

So, I agree that there are many variables and that there is no one answer that will work for everyone. But my point is that doing what we do with our cars (buying them used, maintaining them well), is a financially sound choice.

Agreed and glad to be part of this community, though my truck is more than 5-6 years old :).

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will chime in on this topic. I am somewhat handy and can do some things myself to maintain my truck. I had a close friend that was a mechanic by trade and had his shop at my disposal when living in Florida but today, things that are out of my comfort level or just would take me WAY more time than I have to spare, I use a shop that @Joseph Garcia connected me with. At the end of the day, having no car payment (having paid cash for latest truck) gives me more freedom to put money away for repairs and retirement.

doc5339

Reaction score
The preventive maintenance and in some cases predictive maintenance achieved from regularly working on our vehicles is hard to put a dollar amount on. The closest thing to working on your own vehicle regularly is having a trusted mechanic who regularly services the vehicle on a schedule, though that mechanic lacks the benefit of driving the vehicle regularly.

It's not just the idea of no mechanic or technician caring as much as the owner, it's really knowing the vehicle inside and out along with how it drives, rides, handles, sounds etc. making it easier to plan for expenses on wear parts.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, maintenance is key. Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost. With maintenance there is no surprise. You know when to do it and the cost ahead of time but with a breakdown repair it is all a surprise. I know I am going to keep my 17 year old Z71 and as seen in my "build thread", I spent known amounts of money on maintenance items and on items that IMO were needed to make it reliable and were known to need replacing by certain mileage intervals. I replaced working components with new Genuine GM parts and AC Delco parts and sold all of the still good old parts to a friend that has a 2005 Tahoe. My recent 2400 mile trip, with 1800 more miles still to come, was taken without a worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019