The financial benefits of maintaining our own cars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of the main reason I got the old Camaro 40 years ago. Get bored or upset, pull something off, tear it apart, clean and paint, put back together. Good therapy. And lying on a cool concrete floor under a car on a hot summer day isn't too bad either.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that me and the wife wouldn’t be able to afford the cars we drive if I didn’t do all the work on them..

She drives her little Mercedes’ and of course I stumbled into the Denali and I have an express van

We planned this pretty poorly as the past 4 years or so we took on a mortgage, 3 car payments and a baby lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have been thinking about this a lot recently Dave. Wanted to make sure I wasn't being penny wise and or pound foolish. Paid cash for the truck 5 years ago and have spent the same amount in repairs and maintenance. I keep track of every penny spent on excel and it averages out to $12.45 a day since purchase which also includes tools and accessories for the truck. Shocks, spark plugs, car washes, new floor mats, new wrenches, seal drivers, it's all in there.

Truck runs great but how old is too old for when we are old? Will we be able to get parts for the 900s when the youngest ones approach 20 years old? Can we keep these in top condition for a thirty year service life?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My dad showed all 4 of us boys the basics of maintenance and repairs. That of course was on older models but even today, some of that basics knowledge transfers over. I preach it here, as well as other members, "basics first" and "maintenance pays and breakdowns cost". In today's world, so many dads and moms do not teach this and is because they were not shown by their parents.

Always work smart and not hard. Think it out and prepare. The information shared earlier about the new vehicle depriciation of 60% in the first 3 to 5 years is something to remember. Has been a long time since I bought new. With what I paid for my Z71 and what I have done, in my build thread, I know that the value, to me, is in the neighborhood of $25k. Others will balk at that value but if follow in detail in my build thread and the quality of parts used, that value is there. This rig is spot on and operates like new.

Like others here, I had some crazy times in my younger life, no drugs involved but plenty of alcohol. Military life helped straighten my path and the love of 3 important women in my life helped too.
I congratulate all members here that "came out on the other side" so to speak. My two middle brothers did not and paid the ultimate price.

So, to all here, keep the rubber side down and happy trails.

Last edited:

doc5339

Reaction score
Sort of the main reason I got the old Camaro 40 years ago. Get bored or upset, pull something off, tear it apart, clean and paint, put back together. Good therapy. And lying on a cool concrete floor under a car on a hot summer day isn't too bad either.
Absolutely! The therapeutic effect of turning wrenches and problem solving cannot be overstated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad showed all 4 of us boys the basics of maintenance and repairs.
My Dad forgot everything he knew about cars when I turned 15! His philosophy is not to do anything to them unless absolutely necessary. He's been buying new Kia's every eight years for the last 24 years or so now and they serve him well for what they are. They are not comfortable for long rides. Come to think of it, he's due for a new one soon!

I learned to turn wrenches from my neighbors and my thinking about keeping and maintaining cars from the Navy.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He's been buying new Kia's every eight years for the last 24 years or so now and they serve him well for what they are. They are not comfortable for long rides. Come to think of it, he's due for a new one soon!

I sure hope he parks it outside!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia