The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says you have 24 months to program all the modules in the vehicle one time? That’s it?

Yes. I like it versus the old way (they changed it in the last year). It used to be where you can get a $55 72-hour subscription pass to get unlimited vehicle calibrations access for any GM vehicle. Now you pay $40 per VIN to get 24-months access. I like it better than the old way as I can work at my own pace. For example I am installing the OEM seat heaters in the next week or so. I can program the RCDLM as needed later on.

For those that don’t want to take the “risk” of buying a Chinese Tech II clone, I saw in Amazon they have a J2534 pass thru device for like $150-200. At least you can easily send it back to amazon if it doesn’t work. With this device you can get a temporary subscription to Tech2Win for $55/3-days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I like it versus the old way (they changed it in the last year). It used to be where you can get a $55 72-hour subscription pass to get unlimited vehicle calibrations access for any GM vehicle. Now you pay $40 per VIN to get 24-months access. I like it better than the old way as I can work at my own pace. For example I am installing the OEM seat heaters in the next week or so. I can program the RCDLM as needed later on.

For those that don’t want to take the “risk” of buying a Chinese Tech II clone, I saw in Amazon they have a J2534 pass thru device for like $150-200. At least you can easily send it back to amazon if it doesn’t work. With this device you can get a temporary subscription to Tech2Win for $55/3-days.

The only problem I see is if you want to change something more than once.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to experiment with that. The way I read it, you can only make the total amount of changes that the truck was originally configured for. In other words, if the VIN has 38 module sections then you can do a total of 38 firmware/calibration updates (regardless of if you update a single module 38 times). Someone can call ACDelco TDS Support and clarify that.

For those new to this calibration/firmware crap, Individual vehicle modules (i.e. BCM, RCDLM, TCM, etc) have various subsections that can be updated. The java based ACDelco software will tell you if you already have the latest version. Some modules have “either or” options for updates to customize a drivers request such as auto-door locks. There is a calibration update that forces the vehicle to NOT automatically lock the doors (and even eliminates the user controlled option from the DIC menu). But you can install a calibration that does the opposite.

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
So I signed up for the ACDelco TDS website a month or so ago because I saw the Tech2 emulator, but I'm still confused. What do I need besides a laptop and an OBDII connector?

Also, anybody have a tutorial on how to get into the BCM and disable hyperflash on our trucks? I bought LED bulbs like 6 months ago but haven't put them in my turn signals yet cause I still have hyperflash.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I signed up for the ACDelco TDS website a month or so ago because I saw the Tech2 emulator, but I'm still confused. What do I need besides a laptop and an OBDII connector?

You need ANY functioning J2534 pass-thru device. Those with a Tech II have have the option to use it as a pass-thru device or as a standalone (connect to car, download vehicle data, connect Tech II to PC and connect to TIS2000 and download calibrations, disconnect and then re-attach Tech II to vehicle and flash the new calibrations).

Other way is to buy the Drew Technologies J2534 device or get a Chinese clone of that. Go on Amazon and search for VXDIAG VCX Nano. $120. Remember if you’re not using genuine equipment then you are risking bricking your modules. I’ve never had an issue. Just makes sure you ALWAYS hook up your car battery to a good charger to maintain voltage. Sometimes the flashing takes half hour and you can brick your modules if the voltage drops too low. I hook mine up to my Schumacher 200Amp/40Amp charger-starter box.

Last edited:

09 L9H

not a boomer
Reaction score
You need ANY functioning J2534 pass-thru device. Those with a Tech II have have the option to use it as a pass-thru device or as a standalone (connect to car, download vehicle data, connect Tech II to PC and connect to TIS2000 and download calibrations, disconnect and then re-attach Tech II to vehicle and flash the new calibrations).

Other way is to buy the Drew Technologies J2534 device or get a Chinese clone of that. Go on Amazon and search for VXDIAG VCX Nano. $120. Remember if you’re not using genuine equipment then you are risking bricking your modules. I’ve never had an issue. Just makes sure you ALWAYS hook up your car battery to a good charger to maintain voltage. Sometimes the flashing takes half hour and you can brick your modules if the voltage drops too low. I hook mine up to my Schumacher 200Amp/40Amp charger-starter box.
Much appreciated, thanks.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick with my old stand by tools. Some I've had for decades. A huge vacuum gauge, volt/ohm meter and a 24 inch wooden dowel rod. I've got a couple of OBD II readers and they are handy but I tend to swap vehicles a lot and dedicated tools just collect dust. Over the years, I've had somewhere around 250-300 cars and trucks that I plated. This doesn't include parts vehicles.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157