The Case for the Tech-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nash

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sux.
The out of the box inspection of the Tech 2 was not what I wanted to see. The screen did not come with the plastic covering and the screen had a big scratch in it . The back of the Tech 2 had multiple scratches and below where the PCMCIA card goes in there was another scratch.
I suspect it was a refurbished unit. I get the final surprise when the unit was powered up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Tech 2 from chinacardiags.com and it came with a 1" wide line all the way down the screen which made it impossible to read all the display. I contacted the seller and advised them of the problem and wanted the Tech 2 replaced. They wanted a picture of the screen and I sent them copies. Since then they have quit responding to my emails. You are sol if you receive a bad Tech 2 from these people.

I had an issue with mine in the beginning and at times thought I was in the same position as you. But I was patient and kept at it and they responded appropriately albeit slowly. Sorry to hear about this btw.

Can you activate things like added on remote start and backup cameras with these things?

Yes, however, it's not flipping a switch. The Tech-2 would have to connect to a laptop (Win XP or Win7) which would access the programming from Tis2Web and then transfer it to the vehicle via the Tech-2. Others on here have done this, I have not yet.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, however, it's not flipping a switch. The Tech-2 would have to connect to a laptop (Win XP or Win7) which would access the programming from Tis2Web and then transfer it to the vehicle via the Tech-2. Others on here have done this, I have not yet.

Do you happen to know if it’s only on the 900’s or can the 800’s too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if it’s only on the 900’s or can the 800’s too?

I think all the 2008 and earlier vehicles are included with the TIS2000 software. @Rocket Man might now. I seem to remember someone programming their truck from TIS2000 without having to go online in recent months.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with mine in the beginning and at times thought I was in the same position as you. But I was patient and kept at it and they responded appropriately albeit slowly. Sorry to hear about this btw.

Just to note, some things are "flipping a switch"...

IE, turning on HVAC afterblow, enabling TPMS or Spare-tire TPMS etc.

Adding a camera on a newer model year would probably involve more in-depth changes that require TISweb

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to note, some things are "flipping a switch"...

IE, turning on HVAC afterblow, enabling TPMS or Spare-tire TPMS etc.

Adding a camera on a newer model year would probably involve more in-depth changes that require TISweb
TPMS is always enabled- try to disable it lol. Can’t. As far as TISWeb though, I never got that far. The TIS 2000 software kicked my ass.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s TIS2web now.

You don’t have to install anything. Just log into acdelcotds.com It costs $40 per VIN for 24 months access for calibration updates. Useful for the notorious P2135 repair.

It’s all Java based and you use the Tech 2 as a J2534 pass-thru device. The standalone Tech 2 will always be priceless for our 2013 and earlier models though. Otherwise plan on also getting an MDI-2 clone too. GM, like its competitors, have made everyone access their software via the cloud.

Look at Microsoft Office. They switched to the subscription model just like almost every other software firm. The automotive companies have followed suit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s TIS2web now.

You don’t have to install anything. Just log into acdelcotds.com It costs $40 per VIN for 24 months access for calibration updates. Useful for the notorious P2135 repair.

It’s all Java based and you use the Tech 2 as a J2534 pass-thru device. The standalone Tech 2 will always be priceless for our 2013 and earlier models though. Otherwise plan on also getting an MDI-2 clone too. GM, like its competitors, have made everyone access their software via the cloud.

Look at Microsoft Office. They switched to the subscription model just like almost every other software firm. The automotive companies have followed suit.

It says you have 24 months to program all the modules in the vehicle one time? That’s it?

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to hijack the post but I have purchased iCarsoft ProII for my Porsche with software for it, just to reset oil light reminder (can't justify almost $400 in oil change). Do you guys think if it's possible to upload another file for GM vehicle? Does anyone has any experience with this device?