That's it - F this turd-burban.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
To me, the brake temps are not a worry. What slows you down is friction and heat. It is supposed to build heat and those temps do not seem out of range. You just stopped it and then checked when they are hottest. Kind of like a hot soak on an engine. You drive an engine and when you shut it off, the engine temp climbs before lowering. The brakes are cooled by driving thru the air and when you stop the vehicle and there is no air flow. They will be hot and maybe temp even rises a little before they start to cool down. If you drive and they get too hot, they will boil the brake fluid and then you lose pedal pressure. Did it ever do that?
No loss of pedal pressure. Maybe I'm just trippin on the heat, but...the front wheels are way hotter than rear, and front right is hotter than front left. Just seems really weird, I'm gonna feel my Yukon wheels after a drive and see if it's similar.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you did some heavy brake checks so that's what I thought you meant. Usually uneven wear on one side of the caliper means it's not retracting properly. Guide pins sticking and dirty, or the same with the pistons. Sometimes you need to replace the calipers. Sometimes it's a bad rubber hose as mentioned above.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
this is why people dump them at or around 160k because they have not maintained it like they should and all of a sudden it needs everything and rather than fix it they get rid of it.
same for all manufactures 160k is the "typical" breaking point.
you already dropped a load into it may as well keep it and know where you stand with it.
I knew what I was getting into with it's age, but never even considered things like a new drive shaft as part of the scenario or vapor canister vent (problems filling gas tank too). I knew I would be in for brakes/rotors/cal, suspension, belts, and basics. Rear main and fuel pump eventually. Didn't even learn about the afm stuff till after I bought it as my 02 Yukon is prior to afm. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
You said you did some heavy brake checks so that's what I thought you meant. Usually uneven wear on one side of the caliper means it's not retracting properly. Guide pins sticking and dirty, or the same with the pistons. Sometimes you need to replace the calipers. Sometimes it's a bad rubber hose as mentioned above.
Poor choice of words on my part. Brand new calipers/rotors/hoses/pads and I greased the shit outta the guide pins, pistons etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No loss of pedal pressure. Maybe I'm just trippin on the heat, but...the front wheels are way hotter than rear, and front right is hotter than front left. Just seems really weird, I'm gonna feel my Yukon wheels after a drive and see if it's similar.
The heat difference for the front and rear is normal. When you apply brakes, there is a proportioning valve that first applies the rear brakes. This is because if you are on wet or icy roads and the fronts apply it can cause you to lose control. Anyway, the rears apply first and then the fronts take over and do most of the braking action. The fronts will be hotter than the rear because of this.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor choice of words on my part. Brand new calipers/rotors/hoses/pads and I greased the shit outta the guide pins, pistons etc.
I would make sure all the air is burped out of the slide pin boots. If you lube em up and slam them in, air can get trapped and act like a little spring holding pressure on the caliper. Just did my 2017 and had to use a small pick to gently bleed the air out when fully compressed. May be minimal, but any side pressure can cause drag=heat.

You definitely have a laundry list that you've had to do. As stated above, once you get through this, you should have a good ride. Sucks you couldn't have had an inspection prior to purchasing it. I'd maybe even reach out to the guy and see if he'll help out some. Worth a shot, maybe he's a decent human being.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm throwing the towel in on this one.

2011 Suburban 1500 LT 154K miles.

Just bought this last month, and have spent the last few weeks fixing/replacing things including:

New rotors/calipers/pads/hoses all the way around
New Inner tie rods
New Outer tie rods
New Stabilizer links

What brand parts did you use? Got any part numbers?

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
I would make sure all the air is burped out of the slide pin boots. If you lube em up and slam them in, air can get trapped and act like a little spring holding pressure on the caliper. Just did my 2017 and had to use a small pick to gently bleed the air out when fully compressed. May be minimal, but any side pressure can cause drag=heat.

You definitely have a laundry list that you've had to do. As stated above, once you get through this, you should have a good ride. Sucks you couldn't have had an inspection prior to purchasing it. I'd maybe even reach out to the guy and see if he'll help out some. Worth a shot, maybe he's a decent human being.
I burped the pins with a lil pick too - will recheck and re-burb em. The guy ain't gonna do shit - I can guarantee that. This is South Florida and the quality of used vehicles is all over the place, and I would say more bad than good.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
What brand parts did you use? Got any part numbers?
Rear calipers - brakebest Oreilly brand Remanufactured - 18B5031 (RR) / 18B5030 (LR)
front calipers brakebest and a duralast - oreilly/Autozone Remanufactured 18B4919A/18B4918A
Brake hoses - Rear - Dorman H620771 (RR) / Dorman H620768 (LR) / Front Dorman H620779 (RF) / Dorman H620480 (LF)
Pads - Raybestos R Line Ceramic - RAYBESTOS MGD1194CH
Rotors - Raybestos R Line - RAYBESTOS 580279R
Timken hubs - The mechanic installed don't have #
delco inners/outers (I believe - mechanic installed and says he used acdelco)
Hoses/belts napa/Advance -MasterPro Serpentine Belt 6 Rib 94 Inch - K060935 / Gates Micro-V Stretch-Fit Serpentine Belt 4 Rib 36 Inch - K040355SF
Heater Hoses - GM Genuine
Heater hose connectors - Dorman 800-413CD / 800-414CD

Not the top quality stuff - I had ordered and received Raybestos calipers, but they were shit and I returned them and have had pretty good luck with reman calipers in the past.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
Minor update - scanned with an Actron Poclketsanner for the check engine light

P0171 - Bank 1 System Too Lean.

During the scan process, the scanner asked about ABS codes and then promoted me to input year/make/model, then it gave me two choices, a series of numbers and letters - I didn't write them down yet but one started with a U. I didn't know which to choose so I backed out. I assume it was maybe a sub-process to read ABS issues? I will try again later, write down the options and search for the two options presented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia