Texas Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with the Texas Speed website. There is an option to plug in your VIN #, but when I do mine, it says it's invalid. So skipping that, I just put in my model year (09) and that it's a Tahoe. Now every product I look up is either for a 4.8 or a 5.3. I have a 6.2 so nothing that I'm looking at would be for me. Do I lie to it and say I have an 09 Escalade?

Here is why I am asking...

Yesterday I heard a NASTY tapping coming from the valve train. It sounded like the exhaust manifold gasket had just disappeared for 2 mins, or that noise you hear after an oil change first engine start. The engine was at normal temp, and I had turned it off for 2 mins to check the mail. When I restarted it, that's when the tapping happened. The noise has since disappeared and not come back...

I think it's either a lifter that got stuck and un-****** itself that quickly, or maybe a valve spring is on the way out. I'm not chancing anything and am replacing the valve train and installing headers while I have the top end apart. I have around 165k on it now.

I've chosen Texas Speed for the valve train stuff, but the site won't let me pick a Tahoe with the L9H 6.2.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's either a lifter that got stuck... or maybe a valve spring is on the way out. I'm not chancing anything and am replacing the valve train and installing headers while I have the top end apart. I have around 165k on it now.

I'm pretty sure Mike that all these LSs use the same valve springs. The 12589774/12706568 are shown as being for both the 5.3 and 6.0 and 6.2 motors. Sorry to hear about the motor, hopefully it was just a one time event.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What, no Colorado Speed in your area? C'mon man!

If you planned on doing the valve train work anyway, I see your point but I would not do all that just because of a sudden noise that has since disappeared. But if you need that problem to convince the wife it NEEDS to be done, go for it.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What, no Colorado Speed in your area? C'mon man!

If you planned on doing the valve train work anyway, I see your point but I would not do all that just because of a sudden noise that has since disappeared. But if you need that problem to convince the wife it NEEDS to be done, go for it.

I had been planning on cam replacement, but was gonna wait to buy a house first. I'm kind of OCD, and hearing that horrible noise, I don't want to be caught with my pants down if there is a looming potential failure. It's my DD and the 2nd love of my life. Also, I never mentioned this.. but I have a husband..if you catch my drift. He is also a gear head and when I told him about the noise... His first words were... So we are upgrading the cam and valve train, right? We are on the same page!

Chert_Detective

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get used to searching with L92 and LS3 filters. Aside from yours having flex fuel, it's an L92 and aside from it being the truck variant, it's "basically" an LS3.

Call them, their customer service is top notch and the guys know what they're talking about. I have placed 5 orders from them and the only time I did one online was because I didn't have my debit card on me while I was on the phone.

25-LS3Camkit660 is the cam kit you want. It will give you drop downs to pick which cam you want, spring kit you want, oil pump etc. I would go ahead and replace the oil pump since the front cover will be off anyways. When I had mine apart doing everything I put the Melling High Volume 10296 pump in along with the pickup tube Orings and I'm running about 30psi hot idle, 40psi while driving, 60psi cold start on 192k mile L92.

CHE trunnion upgrade = Yes

VVT delete is up to you, I did it because of the cam I selected, not everyone has to though.

Think about getting a converter unless you want to keep the cam pretty mild. TSP sells a Circle D for our 6.2/6L80 combos and it works great.

The following is the most important part
No matter your options above. DO NOT get anything other than the following for lifters, trays, gaskets.
Lifters 12499225
Head Gasket
Trays 12595365

Those are the gmpp lifters and gaskets, not an oem ls7 setup or knockoff parts. But the good stuff. Trays are oem but are the only ones that should go in your engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts