Testing magneride strut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scan tool did have a module failure DTC but hasn’t returned after clearing. The “right front actuator open circuit” comes back instantly after clearing though. Id pull it in the shop but I just painted and cleared a set of platinum front and rear bumper covers. I was thinking that I’ll first trace the wires back as far as I can, ill clean the plug end on the module like you suggested, then possibly swapping the struts to see if one of the struts might be faulty. Otherwise I have a used module in my eBay cart. I have a feeling that the strut might be bad electrically. The shop that compressed the new springs in the struts put the strut mount on backwards and had to have them turn it 90 degrees. I’m wondering if it might of damaged the connections if they turned the shaft?

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to check and clean up the suspension module harness also it is in the back under the spare wheel area and gets exposed to the elements
I just read that the by-pass resistance is 3.9 olms. I’m going to try that on my decade box instead swapping struts, that should be a quick test.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You could always, temporarily, add a resistor too the corner that’s triggering. You’d know right away if it was a strut, harness or module.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always, temporarily, add a resistor too the corner that’s triggering. You’d know right away if it was a strut, harness or module.
Yeah I plan on plugging my decade box into the harness after work, see if that changes anything. Funny thing is today it was fine. I did a service call this morning for a good customer of ours at his automotive shop. After getting his heating issue fixed I brought it up to him and he looked it up on his computer and it said the plugs that clip onto the strut often cause this issue and should be replaced. He gave me the part # it’s only 30$ bucks I think I’ll give that a shot.

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, installed the new electrical strut plug a few days ago and everything's back to normal… for now…

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the same one I pictured?
Yes sir! Perhaps it was coincidental, but when I replaced the struts, I disconnected that connector from the harness. On the left strut, I kept the harness connected and only detached the connector from the strut.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir! Perhaps it was coincidental, but when I replaced the struts, I disconnected that connector from the harness. On the left strut, I kept the harness connected and only detached the connector from the strut.
can you post up the part number? I lost the bag mine was in and only have the connector, just in case someone else in the future needs the same thing, I seem to recall it being hard to identify.....

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post up the part number? I lost the bag mine was in and only have the connector, just in case someone else in the future needs the same thing, I seem to recall it being hard to identify.....
13586171 on eBay it was called “GM OEM CONNECTOR KIT” my local dealership had one on hand but was 10$ more than eBay from a dealership lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13586171 on eBay it was called “GM OEM CONNECTOR KIT” my local dealership had one on hand but was 10$ more than eBay from a dealership lol
ya that's what I thought, my dealer called it a "gm oem connector"
why no one list's it as a "shock connector" is beyond me, that's the only thing it connects to...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21