Test drove an 17 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I test drove a 17 Esky to see how bad the differences were vs the 6 and the 10... I have driven a few 10s, and Ive only owned 6 speeds. So I was like Ill give it a try.... I will say one thing positive about the 8, the gear split seems right to keep the motor in power band under hard acceleration. More enjoyable than the 10 under full throttle only. The 10 for mid to light throttle is more enjoyable and really makes the trucks feel 1k lighter.

I have heard everyone talk about the 1/2 shifts being terrible.. Yep they are, its astounding honestly. I have heard the fluid flush fixes alot of it, but Im very skeptical. It feels like torque management is fighting the transmission honestly.

So I will say that the MRC updates in the 17 and up are noticeable vs the prior models.

This was a 2017 Escalade, very minimal options, only reason I even looked at it was the pricetag of 34k, with 70k miles.

So figured I would at least share the findings so I have real world experience in this now. And maybe this will help those others considering the 17 as a possibility.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the 8 speed in my 2017. After the fluid flush was done, it always shifts properly. 130K so far.

Also, a master GM tech friend of mine said that the torque converter in the 8 speed is quite robust and not susceptible to heat like the 6 speed transmissions are. The new fluid helps.

He said the initial problem with the trans fluid and shudder problems were related to moisture that would get suspended in the fluid causing the TCC to slip-stick-slip......etc. The new HVLP fluid doesn't allow for that to happen. For what it's worth

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the 8 speed in my 2017. After the fluid flush was done, it always shifts properly. 130K so far.

Also, a master GM tech friend of mine said that the torque converter in the 8 speed is quite robust and not susceptible to heat like the 6 speed transmissions are. The new fluid helps.

He said the initial problem with the trans fluid and shudder problems were related to moisture that would get suspended in the fluid causing the TCC to slip-stick-slip......etc. The new HVLP fluid doesn't allow for that to happen. For what it's worth
Well that is good to know... This one didnt shutter but 1 to 2 was real weird, like it pulls back then bump into gear. Kinda like teaching someone to drive a manual and they came out on clutch too fast for 2nd.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not get the 2015-2017 8-speed. I have the 2018 Escalade Luxury with the 10-speed and it is awesome. I have not had anything weird happen with my 10-speed. I purchased my 2018 last year with 48k. I did have lifter failure at 79k but most second-hand Escalades are lease returns so the previous owners probably changed the oil when the OLM said to change it after putting 7k or more. If I was to purchase another 2018-2020 Escalade I would replace the VLOM which GM did update the part for cheap insurance. If you want to take it further I would also replace lifters 4 & 6 as well. I would then only use DEXO 1 gen 2 or 3 oil with OEM filter & Mobil 1 20k premium oil. Then I would change the oil when my OLM gets down to 10-20 percent. This goes the same for Tahoe 6.2 & Yukon 6.2.

The front & rear control arms were updated in 2017-2020 from aluminum to steel plus the software has to be updated if you decide to do this to your 2015-early 2017. This will make a huge difference on the ride. There is someone on youtube that shows what he did to improve the suspension for his wife's 2016 Escalade.