Tech 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not having much luck. The ABS bleed function doesn't even show for a 96 or 97. Shows up at 98 but screen goes blank and nothing happens if I try it. When I try anything it either says it lost communication or the screen does nothing. And the screen contrast has reset twice now.

Anyone used this on a 96 or 97?
I have not done the ABS bleed, does it show any special procedures in the manual you found?

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it show any special procedures in the manual you found?
I don't have a service manual, I'm reading the user manual right now. But in this video you can see and read the service manual and I don't see anything.

Should I be selecting K as the model/type?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a service manual, I'm reading the user manual right now. But in this video you can see and read the service manual and I don't see anything.

Should I be selecting K as the model/type?

if K works sure these are all commanded by the same language so it really doesn't matter as long as the tech2 see's it, did you do it like he did in the video?

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you do it like he did in the video?

He has a 99 and it shows up at 1998, doesn't show for 96 or 97.

I found a very useful chart of Tech2 paths
https://gsi.ext.gm.com/userguides/GM_Tech2_Paths.pdf

When I enter the vehicle on the Tech2 I get to > 4WAL 3 Sensor.
With that I can only find: Automated Bleed – Chassis > 4WAL 3 Sensor > Special Functions

And for a 96 or 97 Automated Bleed is not there? I have Function Test but I get an error saying lost communication.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to do an Automated VCI Self Test? I just have the loopback connector attached. Been going for a while now and I think it's hanging.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this in the comments section of the vid I posted. He has a 95 and it has the same menu options as 96 & 97.

Corey Harkcom 2 months ago
Automated Bleed – Chassis > 4WAL 3 Sensor > Special Functions My menu is Function – Chassis > 4WAL 3 Sensor > Special Functions. The automated bleed was not listed in any of my menus or submenus however I did try something listed under 4wal 3 sensor called function This does run my abs system but I believe it runs it faster than what the automated bleed runs so I don’t know if I will have the same results. My guess is that this is just to run the abs to make sure everything is working as it should. Cycles the abs 5 times vs the 6 it does with the automated bleed. Thanks for your help

So seems I have an issue. And my unit won't finish a self test. I have only just hooked the battery back up and my pos alarm was screwing around, and the radio was cutting on and off (I can tell when the clock goes dark even if it's not on) whether I had the tech2 connected or not. So I still have my weird electrical gremlin. And I've read in here that even an aftermarket stereo can screw with the Tech2. So now I'm not sure if the issue is the unit or my truck, or both.

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should by one for just for reading codes and clearing vin locks...

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got a duff one.

Contrast has reset a couple times
IMG_5876.JPG

VCI test hangs at this point every time.
IMG_5877.JPG

The GM User guide (P122) doesn't mention the Auto. PCB & VCI test but it stops here, won't respond and I have to shut it down.
IMG_5874.JPG

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got a duff one.

Contrast has reset a couple times
View attachment 252783

VCI test hangs at this point every time.
View attachment 252784

The GM User guide (P122) doesn't mention the Auto. PCB & VCI test but it stops here, won't respond and I have to shut it down.
View attachment 252785

You have to make sure that you power it up and connect the connectors EXACTLY where and WHEN the instructions tell you. I did some self-tests out of order and got error codes but they passes when I followed the instructions to a tee.

My shop manual says to run ABS bleed with TEch-2 before doing manual bleed at each of the wheels. I'll be replacing all the fluid in mine next week and plan on replacing all the fluid and then attempt to bleed each corner, then the ABS bleed and then all four corners again.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed the instructions in the GM User Manual to run the test. I left the VCI test running while I went to get groceries and it's still hanging. It must be a bad one.

Edit
I just went down and tried it again. No matter what I try I get a communications error that says something like 'lost communication, check the cable, check the ignition', or it hangs on 'starting communications'.

Wish I'd already tried one or could try someone else's to see if it is the unit and not my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Bluetooth OBDII reader works fine so it's unlikely an issue with my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts