Autel MaxSys scanner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What a pita to compare all the different scanners. This is the best explanation of the various Autel lines (MS, MK, MX, etc) that I found: https://medium.com/@obd2gate-com/differences-between-autels-diagnostic-scanner-series-8c01f32124d1

I'm waffling between the new MS 906 Pro TS and an older model MS 906 TS. Main reason for the purchase is for the 2013 Tahoe. I'm assuming there isn't much difference between the two for the Tahoe. The MS906TS is less expensive and comes with a battery tester that should be useful ($300 if bought separately).

Some questions:

1. Do the Autel scanners continue to work indefinitely or do you have to update them every year for them to keep functioning? That would be a deal breaker.

2. Do the updates bring the scanner's capability up to or near the current model scanner?

3. For those that have used the Autel scanners, any tips or things to watch out for?

Reading the hassles with the VXC and the questionable Tech 2 clones (and the sketchy websites that sell them) I'm only willing to consider a real Tech 2, which are selling for $1,200+ on ebay. Once spending that kind of money might as well buy a scanner that can do other manufacturers as well, is that wrong thinking? Right now we have three older GM vehicles that a Tech 2 would work on. We have a few newer other makes as well where the Autel should be useful.

Any comments welcome.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My son and I have a MaxiPro MP808S-TS we got about a year ago; one reason we settled on that one is the ability to program new TPMS sensors, and to read and program the sensor positions without deflating, etc. The included updates are good for a year, and we're coming up on that in March. I've updated several times over the past year and will do it again right before the free ones expire.

Having said that, the updates have all been for newer models. They did tell me that I don't need to keep buying updates unless I want the newer cars included, so I'll be using it as-is until we get a newer vehicle.

Be sure to get one with a later version of Android (like 11). Some of the lower priced ones are Android 4 or some old OS.

Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics has several videos about the different scanners, if you haven't seen them yet:

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My son and I have a MaxiPro MP808S-TS we got about a year ago; one reason we settled on that one is the ability to program new TPMS sensors, and to read and program the sensor positions without deflating, etc. The included updates are good for a year, and we're coming up on that in March. I've updated several times over the past year and will do it again right before the free ones expire.

Having said that, the updates have all been for newer models. They did tell me that I don't need to keep buying updates unless I want the newer cars included, so I'll be using it as-is until we get a newer vehicle.

Be sure to get one with a later version of Android (like 11). Some of the lower priced ones are Android 4 or some old OS.

Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics has several videos about the different scanners, if you haven't seen them yet:

Thanks, I think, lol. That video sent me back down the rabbit hole where I came across this one:
which pointed out Launch and Autel muddy the waters by allowing other branded tools to use their software, but with some limitations :falcepalm:

So in the end I gave up trying to figure out which model did what, where they had to be purchased to have support, etc. and ordered a Tech 2 clone from a website with a higher trust rating. Hopefully something shows up and it is not just an expensive paperweight.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Thanks, I think, lol. That video sent me back down the rabbit hole where I came across this one:
which pointed out Launch and Autel muddy the waters by allowing other branded tools to use their software, but with some limitations :falcepalm:

So in the end I gave up trying to figure out which model did what, where they had to be purchased to have support, etc. and ordered a Tech 2 clone from a website with a higher trust rating. Hopefully something shows up and it is not just an expensive paperweight.

What did you order and whom did you order it from?
I am in the market for a Tech 2 and I want to get one that will work well for my GMT900.
Especially since I may end up getting a Silverado or Sierra of the same generation in a few months.

OP
OP
N

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased from VXDAS. Their price includes the memory card and shipping costs while the other sites don't. The $315 out the door price was slightly more than the lowest priced sellers once the memory card and shipping are included in their prices. I spent an extra $14 for faster shipping, though that probably wasn't necessary. It arrived in 7 days. It works and connected to a 2003 Saturn just fine.

One thing I didn't like while messing around with it while not connected to a vehicle was when trying to select different vehicle codes it would occasionally display something about not connecting with OnStar. The Saturn is bare bones, no OnStar crap. But for my 2013 Tahoe, will connecting the Tech2 to the vehicle also connect to onstar in some way? If yes, how to prevent that from happening?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased from VXDAS. Their price includes the memory card and shipping costs while the other sites don't. The $315 out the door price was slightly more than the lowest priced sellers once the memory card and shipping are included in their prices. I spent an extra $14 for faster shipping, though that probably wasn't necessary. It arrived in 7 days. It works and connected to a 2003 Saturn just fine.

One thing I didn't like while messing around with it while not connected to a vehicle was when trying to select different vehicle codes it would occasionally display something about not connecting with OnStar. The Saturn is bare bones, no OnStar crap. But for my 2013 Tahoe, will connecting the Tech2 to the vehicle also connect to onstar in some way? If yes, how to prevent that from happening?
It will only connect to the onstar module in the vehicle and not to the onstar service itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts