Tech 2 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just joined the forum, recently purchased a clone Tech 2, opened an account with GM tech Line and can not down load supporting software into tech 2, I'm located in Easton PA. Any help would be appreciated.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just joined the forum, recently purchased a clone Tech 2, opened an account with GM tech Line and can not down load supporting software into tech 2, I'm located in Easton PA. Any help would be appreciated.
Rick,
Tell us more about What you are trying to do and what software you are using.

OP
OP
R

Rick R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
George, I,m very weak in knowledge on how to set up the Tech 2. I did down load the tech line software after setting up the account. I did not use the software that came with the clone, I believe that software requires an XP 32 bit computer. I truly need guidance. I'm sorry to be a novice.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not download anything into the Tech-2 from Techline. They just changed the way it interfaces with the Tech-2 and it is only used as a Pass-Thru device now if I understand correctly. Basically made my old laptop obsolete, they are wanting 64-bit machines I think now.

That being said, you can get the TIS2000 software to load onto an old laptop. It can provide programming for 2008 and older vehicles and use it to view captured data from the Tech-2, maybe even live if you take it out to the car.

Are you trying to program modules yet?

OP
OP
R

Rick R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My tech 2 does not communicate with the desk top that I downloaded the tech line into.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tell us more about your setup.

Does the computer have a DBxx serial connector, or are you using a USB-to-serial dongle (what's the adapter make and model #)?
What operating system is the computer using?
Are you using TIS2000 software, or running live on the Techline through a browser? What did you download to your desktop?

EDIT: to be clear, the computer connection isn't needed to use the Tech 2 if you're not programming modules. It works standalone to view powertrain and body data, reset codes, and run test functions.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, and this is important. The ONLY time that you need a computer with Internet access for your Tech 2 is when you are programming a control module in your truck (reprograming existing software or updating existing software in an existing module, or programming a new module, or programming an existing module taken from another vehicle.) For all diagnostics and monitoring and code reading/clearing of your truck's functions, you do not need a computer to work with the Tech 2. It is standalone connection with your truck's OBDII connector.

If you are doing one of the above operations that requires that your Tech 2 be connected to a computer with Internet access to Techline Connect, then use the following procedure:

Using Techline Connect to Program Control Modules

Connect the Tech 2 to truck, with the key on and motor off. Turn off all power users on the truck.

Turn the Tech 2 on, and then select F1 Service Programming System, and then select F0 Request Info, and then follow directions.

When complete, disconnect the Tech 2 from the truck.

Connect Tech 2 to computer, and turn on the Tech 2.

==========================

Log into ACDelco TisWeb, and on the My Subscriptions page, under Vehicle Programming Software, click on View.

Click on your VIN, and you will be re-routed and connected to Techline Connect.

If you have not already downloaded and installed the Techline Connect software, select Download Techline Connect and let it install. Otherwise, click on Launch Techline Connect.

============================

On the Vehicle Selection page, enter your truck’s VIN, if you don’t see your truck under the Recent Vehicles column. Then click on Select.

A Device Explorer window drops down that does not show a Tech 2 and says that it cannot find a device, and select Cancel.

Click on SPS2 at the top left of the screen, and on the SPS2 screen, click on Manually Select Tool at the right side of the screen. Click on Tech2 Remote (unless your computer, Tech 2, and truck are all located together, and in that instance, click on Tech2 Legacy Pass-Thru).

On the SPS2 screen, you should see Diagnostic Tool Ready! On the right column of the screen. Click on Next at the lower right of the screen. You will come to a screen where all of your truck’s supported controllers are listed.

===============================

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rick R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is Techline looking at the right port for the Tech-2? @Joseph Garcia
I believe its looking at the right port. The tech line is set up using a keyspan Model USA-19HS-C USB serial adapter, I suspect that I have a defective DB9 serial port adapter that came with the Tech 2. I ordered a GM part # 3000111 replacement. Hopefully this will solve the issue. fingers crossed.

OP
OP
R

Rick R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You do not download anything into the Tech-2 from Techline. They just changed the way it interfaces with the Tech-2 and it is only used as a Pass-Thru device now if I understand correctly. Basically made my old laptop obsolete, they are wanting 64-bit machines I think now.

That being said, you can get the TIS2000 software to load onto an old laptop. It can provide programming for 2008 and older vehicles and use it to view captured data from the Tech-2, maybe even live if you take it out to the car.

Are you trying to program modules yet?
I downloaded the Tech line software onto my desktop windows 7 64 bits, i also had a friend download TIS 2000 onto an old XP desktop nether will communicate with the Tech 2. Thank you for reading my posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645