Looking for feedback direction on Tech 2 clone purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went by the info on the link. When you boot the Tech 2 the software version will be listed at the bottom of the screen (after the POST - Power On Self Test).

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read soo much about the Tech-2 clones on here, but could one of our knowledgeable members please enlighten me as to what the benefits of this are compared to HP Tuners VCM Scanner/Editor?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read soo much about the Tech-2 clones on here, but could one of our knowledgeable members please enlighten me as to what the benefits of this are compared to HP Tuners VCM Scanner/Editor?
It's the dealer-level GM tool that provides access to all of the modules for troubleshooting purposes, along with cataloging, etc. It's not designed to change ECU parameters like HP Tuners, but as I understand it HP Tuners doesn't provide access to all of the modules such as the BCM that are needed for troubleshooting non engine-related systems.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the dealer-level GM tool that provides access to all of the modules for troubleshooting purposes, along with cataloging, etc. It's not designed to change ECU parameters like HP Tuners, but as I understand it HP Tuners doesn't provide access to all of the modules such as the BCM that are needed for troubleshooting non engine-related systems.
being that non-engine related systems are going to be 99% of my issues, I’m already sold!

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on a Tech 2 here in the next week or two. A few questions

1. I want to do a re-gear from 3.08 to 3.42 or 3.73 within the next year - would the Tech 2 be able to do the recalibration?
2. I replaced my rear park assist sensors, but I'm still getting a service message and the system isn't working - would the Tech 2 help me diagnose?
3. After reading a bunch on other threads, I'm still confused about the need for a computer. The package comes with CDs, our Windows computers don't even have CD drives any more. Sounds like it's only needed for programming, but I may want to do that. Can you get adapters/software to allow it to run with modern Windows machines? I don't want to hunt for a Win XP laptop!
4. My '13 LT Tahoe doesn't seem to have one-touch up on even the driver's window. Seems like it should? Can the Tech 2 help?

Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on a Tech 2 here in the next week or two. A few questions

1. I want to do a re-gear from 3.08 to 3.42 or 3.73 within the next year - would the Tech 2 be able to do the recalibration?
2. I replaced my rear park assist sensors, but I'm still getting a service message and the system isn't working - would the Tech 2 help me diagnose?
3. After reading a bunch on other threads, I'm still confused about the need for a computer. The package comes with CDs, our Windows computers don't even have CD drives any more. Sounds like it's only needed for programming, but I may want to do that. Can you get adapters/software to allow it to run with modern Windows machines? I don't want to hunt for a Win XP laptop!
4. My '13 LT Tahoe doesn't seem to have one-touch up on even the driver's window. Seems like it should? Can the Tech 2 help?

Thanks!
1. Not sure @swathdiver
2. Yes
3. You only need the computer for programming. Some folks track live data, and a computer can be 'helpful', but not necessary, due to its larger screen.
4. You can troubleshoot the issue with it.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Not sure @swathdiver
2. Yes
3. You only need the computer for programming. Some folks track live data, and a computer can be 'helpful', but not necessary, due to its larger screen.
4. You can troubleshoot the issue with it.
Thank you! I think it's going to be worth the investment. Also have a 2012 Cruze in the family.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I think it's going to be worth the investment. Also have a 2012 Cruze in the family.
It will absolutely be worth the investment. I've saved literally thousands of dollars in diagnostics and repairs, being able to zero in and identify the sources of issues that pop up from time to time and then repair them myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum

Latest posts