tahoe no oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tneels

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a2013 tahoe 5.3 ls engine. blew it up. bought a used engine put a new timing chain, oil pump, pick up tube etc etc. My son put it all on and dropped the engine in. Problem is we cannot get any oil pressure. We filed it with oil and also tried filling the oil pump from the port on the side of the motor by the pump and turn it over and still cannot get oil pressure. what are we missing or doing wrong or what can we do. I need help this is our only vehicle I spent a ton of money putting this used engine in and still owe a ton of money on this car. we haven't been able to drive for 6 months help

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is a problem most salvage yards have a warranty if thats where you purchased from. Hopefully you can get this one repaired. Good luck.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace your oil pressure sending unit AND filter on the new engine????
The little filter might be full of trash from the old engine so it's not getting
pressure to the sending unit

HD_LS

Reaction score
I have a2013 tahoe 5.3 ls engine. blew it up. bought a used engine put a new timing chain, oil pump, pick up tube etc etc. My son put it all on and dropped the engine in. Problem is we cannot get any oil pressure. We filed it with oil and also tried filling the oil pump from the port on the side of the motor by the pump and turn it over and still cannot get oil pressure. what are we missing or doing wrong or what can we do. I need help this is our only vehicle I spent a ton of money putting this used engine in and still owe a ton of money on this car. we haven't been able to drive for 6 months help
When you say "filled from the side," Do you mean that you did the required priming procedure by feeding pressurized oil into that port?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a stressful situation and some bad luck thrown in. Lots of people here with a ton of knowledge and experience with these engines.

The most important next step you can take, as has already been suggested, is to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on that engine and crank it but take out the fuel pump fuse and relay so it won’t start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfs66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
first off, how are you checking the oil pressure? From the original gauge? Someone said here that you should change the sending unit and also the little filter underneath that. I've seen many trucks running and driving with no oil pressure on the stock gauge until they replace the little filter, then thy are good to go. otherwise put in a temp aftermarket gauge to check it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No oil pressure when running? As indicated by the gauge on the dash? Does the gauge move at all, maybe with RPM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62

Latest posts