Tahoe #8 Spark Plug access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@Rocket Man came up with a great way to remove it. Use a long enough deep 5/8" socket, not a spark plug socket, and a 3/8" ratchet and it works. If you have a deep 5/8" 1/4'' drive socket that you can use with a 1/4" ratchet and break loose, that works too. I have a 1/4" breaker bar to break it loose. Plus, I am surprised no one has said that the 5/8" spark plug socket has a 6 point head on it. Use an open end wrench on that to break loose the plug and unthread the plug. It can be done pretty easy if you get creative.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
@Rocket Man came up with a great way to remove it. Use a long enough deep 5/8" socket, not a spark plug socket, and a 3/8" ratchet and it works. If you have a deep 5/8" 1/4'' drive socket that you can use with a 1/4" ratchet and break loose, that works too. I have a 1/4" breaker bar to break it loose. Plus, I am surprised no one has said that the 5/8" spark plug socket has a 6 point head on it. Use an open end wrench on that to break loose the plug and unthread the plug. It can be done pretty easy if you get creative.
Rocket man uses the spark plug socket with the six point hex and then a regular 3/4 socket on that hex.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Rocket man uses the spark plug socket with the six point hex and then a regular 3/4 socket on that hex.
That's not the way it was described to me. If you use a 5/8" spark plug socket and then add a 3/4" socket on that, I am assuming a shallow socket, and then a ratchet on that, is that not too deep/long at that point? What am I missing?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice post. They are definitely a PITA. After being both a mechanic and then working in engineering I can tell you that the designers who have a computer screen with perfect fitting parts never think twice about what the REAL finished product requires. Had MANY meetings about these sort of things. However, profit usually wins out over practicality in the long run. Luckily you'll only have to visit that fella 2 times in the vehicles life on average.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's not the way it was described to me. If you use a 5/8" spark plug socket and then add a 3/4" socket on that, I am assuming a shallow socket, and then a ratchet on that, is that not too deep/long at that point? What am I missing?

I found the post where he describes it.
?hash=7019c233be59e9e3ed24e04aeba970e3.jpg
If you put a regular depth socket on the plug socket instead of a wrench it’s the perfect length for a ratchet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roger08LTZ

Reaction score
I found the post where he describes it.
View attachment 380618
This likely would have helped me had I known this trick, but I still think pulling down the liner is easier. One factor my plugs seem like they were installed by the local tire shop, I needed to use a pipe to get the plugs broken free. They also resisted all of the way out. I was very concerned the threads were damaged, but the new plugs went in fine and I was able to tighten them all to the 11 Ft Lbs spec. So I think I'm good.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This likely would have helped me had I known this trick, but I still think pulling down the liner is easier. One factor my plugs seem like they were installed by the local tire shop, I needed to use a pipe to get the plugs broken free. They also resisted all of the way out. I was very concerned the threads were damaged, but the new plugs went in fine and I was able to tighten them all to the 11 Ft Lbs spec. So I think I'm good.
I hope you read the recent thread about using a small dab of anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug before installing in the aluminum head.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geez you guys must have never worked on a japanese car working on these trucks is a breeze by comparison, #8 doesn't take any longer nor is it any harder than any other plug
spark plug socket and then adapt down to a 1/4 ratchet, throw a breaker over the small ratchet, wammo done

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a flex head ratchet and a ton of different extension lengths and found a combo that was easy.

When I did my cam swap I pulled everything from the side, including the plugs, and it was super easy that way. Pulling the wheel well liner out takes 5 minutes plus the time to Jack up the car and pull the tire, and presto! Easy peasy #8 access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons