Sway bar attachment rotting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed my sway bar bushing bolt was broken, ordered new ones.

Unable to get old one out so far since it’s melted in there, but also noticed the frame piece for attaching bushing is basically rotten out in the middle.

The holes for bolts are still there and other side is fine, however I’m worried it can break the bolt area as well in future.

Is this salvageable in any way at all or at this point drive until it falls apart then have to cut and weld a new piece onto it?
Or maybe any other way to install sway bar bushings to hold it in place?

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, providing if the rest of the vehicle is not a moving death trap then at the very least those mounts need to be cut out and replaced and the sway bar is done, throw it away and get a new one. it's been eaten away by the rust monster

Rest is fine, everything around is fat and solid, just one side of the area around that bushing, probably water got stuck and was pooling in that hole.

Checked car market to see if it’s in better state than 1-2yrs ago, Looks like time to get a welder!

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Rest is fine, everything around is fat and solid, just one side of the area around that bushing, probably water got stuck and was pooling in that hole.

Checked car market to see if it’s in better state than 1-2yrs ago, Looks like time to get a welder!
I had this exact problem on my old 07. There is a replacement part, if I can locate it I will post it. I took the truck to a collision place and they cut out the old mount, cleaned up the area, welded in the new mount, and it was good as new. Part, shipping and labor was under $400.

I don’t weld so this was a deal for me

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact problem on my old 07. There is a replacement part, if I can locate it I will post it. I took the truck to a collision place and they cut out the old mount, cleaned up the area, welded in the new mount, and it was good as new. Part, shipping and labor was under $400.

I don’t weld so this was a deal for me
Oh yessss please, that would be fantastic!

Talked to neighbor mechanic he said piece of cake, a couple metal sheets and done

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Took some digging but I’m pretty sore this is the correct set of numbers. It’s from the avalanche forum, but searching it confirms OEM Chevy part.

Part Number
Description

Bracket ? Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Left Hand)

Bracket ? Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Right Hand)

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took some digging but I’m pretty sore this is the correct set of numbers. It’s from the avalanche forum, but searching it confirms OEM Chevy part.

Part Number
Description

Bracket ? Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Left Hand)

Bracket ? Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Right Hand)
That looks like it, thank you! Sounds like a good reason to get to learn some welding, i had so many broken studs and other places where i said “would have been so good to have a welder”

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Gm didn’t think it through lol, the drain hole in the middle is basically blocked by rubber so water just stays there
Not only that but it gets clogged with rust and debris as well. I wire brushed mine, used etching primer and good automotive paint to help keep them from deteriorating. Also, the AC condensate drain discharges over top of the passenger side mount providing a constant supply of water.

Like you said…..GM didn’t think that one through very well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts