Suspension too stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Does anyone feel that the springs are too stiff? When going over potholes the springs seem to ram the whole suspension and wheels into the hole. Every brief moment the wheel is airborne it comes crashing down with alot lef force. I think I'm going to purchase a set of oem ac delco springs that sre softer (2007+ gm suv springs) and not those specific for the 2015+ models. I dont tow or carry heavy loads at all, does anyone know if the springs would be too soft?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What size are your tires? If you have the wider tread shorter sidewall tires the sidewall will not absorb very much of the impacts. I own an older Tahoe but that is tire specific info. Also, you might want to say what year your rig is for others. What air pressure are you running?

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
What size are your tires? If you have the wider tread shorter sidewall tires the sidewall will not absorb very much of the impacts. I own an older Tahoe but that is tire specific info. Also, you might want to say what year your rig is for others. What air pressure are you running?
I've tried all sorts of tire pressures, I currently run them down to 200KPa. I'm on the stock rim / tire setup however I had 285/65R20 BFG KO2 on stock 20s. I thought tires would be the culprit. They werent, I also have bilstien 5100s and had them in the highest setting. I lowered the truck to stock height and put on the factory setup and it's still crashy. The spring compressor broke and my mechanic told my that the set of springs I purchased for a 2009 escalade magnaride delete were softer (his press handled them with ease). I have a 2015 Yukon sle. The Escalade and I have exchanged Ranchk XL quick lift shocks, fox2.0s and now bilstien 5100s. Long story short, considering how bad the roads are where we live, the 5100s and oem ac delco springs worked perfectly for him. I'm thinking of getting his springs.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am too very interested in softening things up, I too have bilsteins 5100 front and back, fronts are on the highest
riding on 285/45r22
wondering what would help.
(apart from going to 265/65r18)

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires will play a bit of a role in the stiffness, but not much in the big scheme of things. My wife denali on 22’s rides great. Been in yukons on 20’s and it isnt any better imo.

If your rig is riding horribly, I would reckon you probably have the magnaride suspension locking up. It is very common.

I would have to guess the spring rate is where it should be from the factory. They put millions of dollars into suspension r and d. Cant imagine why they would use too heavy of springs and make the truck ride like shit.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
I am too very interested in softening things up, I too have bilsteins 5100 front and back, fronts are on the highest
riding on 285/45r22
wondering what would help.
(apart from going to 265/65r18)
Update, got new springs in the front. I measured my stock spring thickness qt around 19.9mm and got new ones at 18.5mm. Its softer now and should soften up after the springs are broken in. I also lowered the 5100s the 2nd preset (0.75 inch lift). Steering feels much better than at the highest setting. Ill probably raise it to .125 later on though. Havent purchased the rear springs yet.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Will you be realigning the front end? You should.
I am back on stock shocks with a 1 inch spacer. Theyre definitely softed but they are crashing due to the spacer over extension. I am thinking of rancho rs5000x as they are twin tube and will.not be as firm as the 5100s i had on previously. Doesn anyone know how the rs5000x ride? A buddy of mine purchased the rs9000xl off amazon and they were too bouncy. Messed withe adjustment knob and it didnt do much.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S
I am back on stock shocks with a 1 inch spacer. Theyre definitely softed but they are crashing due to the spacer over extension. I am thinking of rancho rs5000x as they are twin tube and will.not be as firm as the 5100s i had on previously. Doesn anyone know how the rs5000x ride? A buddy of mine purchased the rs9000xl off amazon and they were too bouncy. Messed withe adjustment knob and it didnt do much.

I have read some fo these reviews, not sure if the rs5000x will help achieve what you are trying to do based on limited feedback I have read

https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS55198-RS5000X-Shock-Absorber/product-reviews/B00QWX6C74

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts