Max Towing too Stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadsToy

Reaction score
Nice ride. Like the interior. I can tell by the way it is setting the suspension is stuck up. You diffidently have an issue with it. Would have to take it to the dealership to scan for codes. Unless you have a scanner that you can emulate the shocks to see if they can move freely and operate correctly. Had a similar issue with my Navigator. Same suspension, the air ride module was bad. Then the shocks went. Sold the car...Cost way more to fix than the car was worth. One shock was $900. But they do make a conversion kit where you can get rid of the air ride.

tdebacker

Reaction score
I'm going to sub to this because I have the exact same issue on my '17 Suburban Premier. I have the max trailer package, Z95 magneride, and rear air shocks, and mine rides very rough.

I replaced all 4 magneride shocks. I was going to use ACDelco, but with backorder time, I went with TRQ complete front strut assemblies and rear air/mag shocks. I figured it'd ride much better, but it still doesn't.

I'm going to call a dealership and see if they need to be recalibrated or something. I figured new struts and shocks would make it ride amazing but it doesn't.

I wouldn't think the max-trailer package would make it ride as stiff as it does.

tdebacker

Reaction score
Are the TRQs the same quality as AC Delco.
My buddy loves TRQ and uses it on all his shitboxes, so I decided to give them a try. They seem like good quality, but the ride didnt really improve. Still feels like im driving an F450 rather than a luxurious SUV.

I did notice the front coils look different than the factory coils.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish my 2019 Yukon 4x4 was a bit stiffer, personally. Shocks seem to be good but it's a little floaty especially in the rear.

BrentS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doesn't your Premier have the Z95 Magneride suspension? It's possible that a shock has stuck or needs to be re-calibrated. Should ride like a Cadillac unless you are running non stock wheels and tires.

These were made to tow and the suspensions settle down with a load on, even a hundred pounds or two in the back can help.
Is the recalibration a DIY or shop? I have the same very stiff suspension unless towing. Much smoother ride while towing.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
TRQ complete is a wallet drainer. They’re listed on BBB over and over again as short lived, refusing to honor warranty claims or charging postage both ways with restocking fees so exchanges are the same price as the initial purchase.

TRQ jambs standard hydraulic strut bodies in MagRide or AutoRide bodies and supply resistors made for PC circuit boards on top of the strut. They work, sometimes, for a while to keep the suspension warning lamps off. They piss off owners who rightfully gripe about what a PITA they are. That spreads a toxic flu of unreliability and price gouging.

Replacements OEM z95 are now guaranteed for life and have 1-2 years on labor. Do it right once and have a pro check your truck out. Test drive another one so you have a baseline of what to expect. A past owner may have even monkey’d with what’s on your truck.

I replaced all 4 magneride shocks. I was going to use ACDelco, but with backorder time, I went with TRQ complete front strut assemblies and rear air/mag shocks. I figured it'd ride much better, but it still doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC