Suspension Sunday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today was fun. Replaced front strut assemblies, hub bearings and upper control arms on my 08 XL Denali. No clue how old control arms and struts are but they are but at least 125,000 miles as I've put that much on the vehicle since I bought it. Bearings I did once about 70k miles ago I believe. You can tell from pics how bad the arms were. Wound up going with passive struts and installed the resistors, took a test drive and all feels fine. Will get an alignment this week but jumped on parkway and she sailed perfectly straight. Only issue I ran into was with the cam bolts on both sides, the two front bolts the nuts snapped right off, the rear bolts were fine. Total time was six hours which included trip to AutoZone for the cam bolts.

20191103_152526.jpg 20191103_152520.jpg 20191103_152509.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So today was fun. Replaced front strut assemblies, hub bearings and upper control arms on my 08 XL Denali. No clue how old control arms and struts are but they are but at least 125,000 miles as I've put that much on the vehicle since I bought it. Bearings I did once about 70k miles ago I believe. You can tell from pics how bad the arms were. Wound up going with passive struts and installed the resistors, took a test drive and all feels fine. Will get an alignment this week but jumped on parkway and she sailed perfectly straight. Only issue I ran into was with the cam bolts on both sides, the two front bolts the nuts snapped right off, the rear bolts were fine. Total time was six hours which included trip to AutoZone for the cam bolts.

View attachment 233682 View attachment 233683 View attachment 233684

No after pics?! :eek:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, good job! Feels great to get a project like that all complete!

‘08? you are in the wrong section ;)

The 08’s had electronic shocks too?

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh s
Wow, good job! Feels great to get a project like that all complete!

‘08? you are in the wrong section ;)

The 08’s had electronic shocks too?

Damn I didn't even notice I posted in the wrong section, hopefully someone can move it. Yeah the Denalis had it, but my compressor was shot too so I just went for the simple cheap fix this round.

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower ball joints are actually pretty good shape but the lower arms could use replacement. I didn't really realize their true condition until I put the new uppers on and took a step back. So I'll have to get to them eventually. My steering rack is leaking and needs replacement so I'll likely do them when I do that.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That rust just makes me cringe! I dealt with that in KC, Mo. but no more in Oregon. I am going to have nightmares now! :(

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rust just makes me cringe! I dealt with that in KC, Mo. but no more in Oregon. I am going to have nightmares now! :(

you should see the bolts on the sway bar bushing brackets. They need to be changed and I have the bushings but need to get new bolts and an extractor set because I know they're going to snap.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do not miss that rust work in the rust belts. In any case of suspension/steering work in a rust belt area, I would bite the bullet, spend the cash and keep a bottle of bourbon around while you replace EVERYTHING.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE