Front Suspension Clunk When First Backing Up With Wheels Turned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Z71, about 110,000 miles:
Have a recent new front suspension clunk when backing with the wheels turned, most generally on first cold start.
It's mostly usually on the driver's side but on rare occasion on the other side instead. Not both at once.
It generally doesn't happen after driving a bit.
Not recently, but possibly within 15,000 miles, both front hubs/bearings and upper control arm/ball joint assemblies were changed.
Any ideas where to start looking?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a recent new front suspension clunk when backing with the wheels turned, most generally on first cold start.
It's mostly usually on the driver's side but on rare occasion on the other side instead. Not both at once.
Not recently, but possibly within 15,000 miles, both front hubs/bearings and upper control arm/ball joint assemblies were changed.
Mine does that too bro don't worry about

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a failed mount be visibly obvious?
You might see stains from the liquid on the sides but the best way to check is by having someone power brake the truck while you look under the hood and see if the driver's side of the engine moves up more than 1/2 an inch. They can put it in reverse to check the other side. You might see the trans moving side to side during these tests for that mount but they usually collapse downward and stay together but have seen them split in half and move more.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this EXACT same issue with my 2012 XL Denali,.126K miles.

My motor mounts are basically new, GM OE, they are tight.

Trans mount is new OE

Front diff mounts are new OE, they are tight.

I see no movement in the suspension, all is tight.

I did recently also replace the front struts and also used OE Z55 struts. All the hardware was torqued to spec, but I was able to slightly turn one of the 3 strut mounting bolts when I was checking everything the other day. The nut was tight, but was able to turn it slightly.

I want to say the popping or clunk lessened....but could be that it just didn't happen today, but I will keep an eye on it.

I would like to figure this one out as well.

Last edited:

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar problem in my 13’ Escalade, only while backing up and when the truck initially starts rolling forward after shifting into D. I replaced all the sway bar bushings/end links, still clunked. My issue ended up being the lower ball joints. At 110k I’d consider it if you haven’t already. They’re pretty easy to replace if you have access to an air hammer with a chisel bit and a part store rental press. No more clunks after the replacement.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this to move forward.

Found driver's side lower lower ball joint needing replacement. Changed it.
Clunk still there.

Found a fault in the driver's side rear upper control bar anchorages on the frame. Fabricated a nice bracket replacement.
Clunk is still there.

As advised in thread, power braked the truck to observe the reaction of the motor mounts. The passenger side moves very little.
The driver's side seems to have a noticible amount of motion; Maybe 1/2 inch but perhaps that much again when really leaning into the throttle.
I haven't tried to expose yet it but can a mount failure be observed without dismantling it?
Would it make a clunking noise?
It seems odd that the clunk is most apparent when the wheels are turned (fully) to the left if it's engine and not suspension related.

I snooped around a bit under the front end and checked bolt for tightness and for anything that looked unexpected but nothing jumped out at me. Repair shop did the same and just found the noted ball joint.

Moving to a new thread to focus on motor mount(s).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz