Suspension still stiff and jumpy after overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Recently overhauled my suspension and steering. Used a TRQ kit from 1A Auto and also just put new bilsteins 5100s front and rear. Replaced sway bar bushings as well. Only bushings not replaced are the lower control arm bushings and lower control arm shock absorber mount bushings.

Truck still rides rough and when I hit bumps in the road it feels like my truck is taking a beating.

2005 Tahoe 5.3L LT 4x4

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, 5100s do deliver a stiffer ride than stock. I would suggest finishing the replacement of the other bushings. However, I cannot imagine that the quality is that of OE for that price for all of those parts. While mine is a different generation, rebuilding my front end with all OE parts last year cost over $3K in parts, I reckon it's much higher this year. It rides like an old Cadillac and handles the turns like a Monte Carlo!

OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Well, 5100s do deliver a stiffer ride than stock. I would suggest finishing the replacement of the other bushings. However, I cannot imagine that the quality is that of OE for that price for all of those parts. While mine is a different generation, rebuilding my front end with all OE parts last year cost over $3K in parts, I reckon it's much higher this year. It rides like an old Cadillac and handles the turns like a Monte Carlo!
Everything I replaced was shot and worn. I wanted to go with everything oem but in my current situation I don’t have the funds to purchase ac delco which I wish I could. Got the shocks at a steal from a buddy who recently sold his Tahoe. (Brand new)
But as for a Cadillac ride I did not get lol. I got a super stiff ride and when hitting bumps it still feels like I have bad shocks. I don’t have the boat effect going on it’s more like my wheels and jumping when hitting bumps.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked Z-angle on your control arms? Did you level the truck? What load rating tires are you running?

I rebuilt my 2001 with energy suspension bushings, and 5100's. It has leveling keys but I cranked them down so 1" higher in back. I have Load Range E tires (10 ply). My truck is VERY comfortable but no Cadillac to ride in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do your RPO codes include G65 and ZW7? If so, that's Premium Smooth Ride. If those PSR rear shocks are changed to conventional shocks, the springs should be changed, too.

OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Have you checked Z-angle on your control arms? Did you level the truck? What load rating tires are you running?

I rebuilt my 2001 with energy suspension bushings, and 5100's. It has leveling keys but I cranked them down so 1" higher in back. I have Load Range E tires (10 ply). My truck is VERY comfortable but no Cadillac to ride in.
I’m running 285/70/17s
And aired up at 65psi. Max is 80
Cooper ATP

Also, how do you do a z check? Never heard of it.
And I didn’t level the truck.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the rear shocks look like -- the ones you replaced. Were they substantially larger in diameter than a typical shock? They may have been the Nivomat self-adjusting shocks.

OP
OP
CTUBS8732

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the rear shocks look like -- the ones you replaced. Were they substantially larger in diameter than a typical shock? They may have been the Nivomat self-adjusting shocks.
The shocks on the front were about the same size. New ones were a bit longer.

New Rear shock were noticeably smaller in diameter.
Old ones were real fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep