Supercharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you really notice a big difference? I remember reading about a Saleen or Shelby supercharged Mustang that was only 0.2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than a stock GT.
I did notice a difference of course. I did the headers and high flow cats at the
same time. I miss the low end power the SC provides. Just could not live with
the horrible MPG

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, the ol 2015i play where GM kept the 6SP in 1/2 the year of the 2015 Esky’s.
Yep, and Yukon Denali's as well. Probably should have kept the 6 speed based on the 8 speed issues that resulted.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
07 Yukon SLT 2WD right?

100k mi would be alright for a forced induction kit. 180k is a little to near the motors golden years for boost, valve seals and, as previously mentioned, the trans and everything to the back of the truck won’t be ready for the gut punch.

A better way to scratch that itch is to find a non AFM 6.2 from an 09 full size SUV or 09-13 pick up. Once it’s ready for transplant, bolt it in a 09-14 Tahoe or Yuke w/ a 4L60 from the factory.

You’ve got 400+ Reliable & Booorrring hp to mess around with. :rofl: All that torque will safely find it’s way to the ground and you can flip the Yuke you’ve got now.
4wd and 4:11 rear. And ugh. Kinda just starting to get used to the old girl. Might prefer shopping for a new trans before this one goes bang all on its own. lol.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did notice a difference of course. I did the headers and high flow cats at the
same time. I miss the low end power the SC provides. Just could not live with
the horrible MPG

I'm curious how much boost you ran?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how much boost you ran?
It measured out to max of about 6 psi on my boost gauge...
Even at tip in throttle it would go zero vacuum and 1-3 psi boost
on my gauge just normal driving.. I think that's why my MPG was so bad.
Due to the PCM wanting to richen things up too fast

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It measured out to max of about 6 psi on my boost gauge...
Even at tip in throttle it would go zero vacuum and 1-3 psi boost
on my gauge just normal driving.. I think that's why my MPG was so bad.
Due to the PCM wanting to richen things up too fast

wow I'm surprised it had heat issues at 6 psi.

but I guess the 6.2 needs 93 fuel stock, I wouldn't take much to rattle one.

interesting. I could see warning lower compression.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow I'm surprised it had heat issues at 6 psi.

but I guess the 6.2 needs 93 fuel stock, I wouldn't take much to rattle one.

interesting. I could see warning lower compression.
Best fuel around here is 91 and that's with 10% ethanol. Gotta take into account that
the "boost" is gonna be lower on a 6.2 than a 5.3
I only get about 9 psi with my vortech and pullied to the hilt on my
SBC 422 ci. But it's got great heads/ etc and lots of displacement.
You prob understand that "boost" is a measurement of resistance , not of power !

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best fuel around here is 91 and that's with 10% ethanol. Gotta take into account that
the "boost" is gonna be lower on a 6.2 than a 5.3
I only get about 9 psi with my vortech and pullied to the hilt on my
SBC 422 ci. But it's got great heads/ etc and lots of displacement.
You prob understand that "boost" is a measurement of resistance , not of power !

ahh 91 you must be up high, I've only read about the thin air issues.

how's the vortec do for intake Temps up there at 9 lbs. grew up in the sea level life where 8lbs of a s trim didn't even need an intercooler.

on a side note, I get that boost is restriction to flow, but say you took the same engine and pulley it to make same amount of boost, would the exit air temp be higher because it was working harder up there to make it, or about the same because most of the heat comes from the compression of the air.

I could probably answer my own question by looking up that formula ha. see if density is a part of it.

turbos seem to be the way to go in the mountains, but even then driving around in boost would be bad on fuel economy if it needs to be in enrichment mode any time you're towing.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh 91 you must be up high, I've only read about the thin air issues.

how's the vortec do for intake Temps up there at 9 lbs. grew up in the sea level life where 8lbs of a s trim didn't even need an intercooler.

on a side note, I get that boost is restriction to flow, but say you took the same engine and pulley it to make same amount of boost, would the exit air temp be higher because it was working harder up there to make it, or about the same because most of the heat comes from the compression of the air.

I could probably answer my own question by looking up that formula ha. see if density is a part of it.

turbos seem to be the way to go in the mountains, but even then driving around in boost would be bad on fuel economy if it needs to be in enrichment mode any time you're towing.
Many states in the west (California included) max out at 91 octane for most stations. It's always a disclaimer on magazine performance tests out there that the vehicle was tested on 91 octane, not 93.