Recommendations for quiet muffler for custom exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall 008

Reaction score
I’m planning to have a custom high clearance exhaust made for my 2008 Tahoe Z71. I’m looking for something similar to the magnaflow overland series systems.
I want the exhaust to be quiet like stock or at least quiet at idle and driving. Don’t mind a little noise while flooring it but with manners. It will be from the Y-pipe back. Going to use V-band clamps and stainless tubing and resonators to keep the drone out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you care about all out hp? if not these seem to go a long way to keeping an ls quiet. I have a hybrid and it's got what they call a adaptive valve in the exhaust. gm started adding them to the normal trucks the next Gen up. also seen some stock mufflers cut open and these are inside. it's just a spring loaded valve in a pipe.

mine has the normal muffler and normal after axle resonator. between the 2 is one of these and it's dead quiet exhaust wise anywhere under like 3k rpm. you hear injector tick over exhaust at idle haha. which is good, cause these trucks have what is kinda a cvt tranny, so they spend a lot of time at one rpm while mph is going up from the tranny using motors and planetarys to change ratios. it would be super annoying if you heard the exhaust droning away at one tone. even cvt cars had to have fake gear changes programed in.

with it idling you can open it by hand it definitely tell it's doing a lot to kill the noise. what it does to up? I honestly don't know. all the new trucks seem to make good power thou.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I never thought about that. The 15-20 Denali & Escalade 6.2L have stainless catback exhaust. You could have a heyday at a wrecker pulling some OEM dual exhaust set ups and mufflers & tips.

OP
OP
M

Marshall 008

Reaction score
do you care about all out hp? if not these seem to go a long way to keeping an ls quiet. I have a hybrid and it's got what they call a adaptive valve in the exhaust. gm started adding them to the normal trucks the next Gen up. also seen some stock mufflers cut open and these are inside. it's just a spring loaded valve in a pipe.

mine has the normal muffler and normal after axle resonator. between the 2 is one of these and it's dead quiet exhaust wise anywhere under like 3k rpm. you hear injector tick over exhaust at idle haha. which is good, cause these trucks have what is kinda a cvt tranny, so they spend a lot of time at one rpm while mph is going up from the tranny using motors and planetarys to change ratios. it would be super annoying if you heard the exhaust droning away at one tone. even cvt cars had to have fake gear changes programed in.

with it idling you can open it by hand it definitely tell it's doing a lot to kill the noise. what it does to up? I honestly don't know. all the new trucks seem to make good power thou.

Not really concerned about HP at the moment. The truck is going to get a new replacement engine soon. The stock 5.3 has enough for me in this family rig. Reliability is the main concern for our overland trips.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to have a custom high clearance exhaust made for my 2008 Tahoe Z71. I’m looking for something similar to the magnaflow overland series systems.
I want the exhaust to be quiet like stock or at least quiet at idle and driving. Don’t mind a little noise while flooring it but with manners. It will be from the Y-pipe back. Going to use V-band clamps and stainless tubing and resonators to keep the drone out.

Can't beat this for the price. Flows better than stock and sounds like stock in most instances. Only 5" high body. Has a smooth, healthy growl at WOT and high RPM. Nothing obtrusive, though and no drone. Just cut out stock muffler and weld this one in. No resonators or additional parts needed.

Cheaper at RockAuto, but factor in shipping for all sources. Don't forget the 5% code if you use RA. https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/cherry+bomb,SA2589,muffler,5872

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

Can’t go wrong with a 40 series flow master
If you want louder get the 10 series but the 40 series is pretty quiet

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny how all your definitions of quiet are different than mine. I was thinking like hey, is this thing running... not flowmaster quiet ol.

I laughed at myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar