sub tuning help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaman

Reaction score
i currently have the bose system in my truck. not long ago i added my two jl 12's in a sealed box, and my rockford fosgate 360a2. i spliced in a two channel line out converter from a local audio shop to the wires under the cup holders for the factory sub. for what it's worth, the line out converter has individual channel gains.

when the volume is low, the bass is very overpowering. when i turn the volume to its max, it feels like the subs are dropping off and could be hitting harder.

any tips/tricks/advice with regards to tuning subs in our trucks? or am i just starting to go a bit deaf?

thanks!

Nuttzzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always have this problem when i have any subs in and car.. pluss different genres have different needs.. why i always go with a amp that has a bass knob so i can change it on the fly to whatever is playing

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I understand the question. Are you saying the bass is too loud for your liking? If that's the case, you can turn the amp down, or get a bass knob like Nuttzzy suggested. The bass knob works for most newer RF amps so it just depends which amp you have. I just ordered one for mine for $22 shipped. I have a Kicker amp in my other car with a bass knob and it does come in handy. My gf hates bass so I use to use it when she rode in my car then I would turn it up when I rode alone.

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
i tried looking into a bass knob for my amp, but the amp i have doesn't have connections built in for one.

i did put a switch in-line on the remote wire so i can disable the amp when my wife is in the truck with me.

don't get me wrong, i love being able to feel the music. the system just doesn't sound balanced. there is a lot of bass at low volumes, not enough at high volumes. didn't know if anyone else has experienced this and figured out how to resolve.

looks like i might just have to deal with it or get a different amp with a remote bass knob.

LILC509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem in my BMW X5. The problem was that I spliced into a amplified signal. The solution is to splice into a signal that is before your stock Bose amplifier which would be two wires behind the Head Unit. Thats why your subs are hitting loud at low volume and then dropping or bottoming out at higher volume. I wouldn't know what color of wires but with some research you can find a stereo harness layout. I only run Rockford amps and all the ones i've had even older rockford have a bass knob option connection which looks like a telephone wire connector, it is usually on the RCA side of the amp.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem in my BMW X5. The problem was that I spliced into a amplified signal. The solution is to splice into a signal that is before your stock Bose amplifier which would be two wires behind the Head Unit. Thats why your subs are hitting loud at low volume and then dropping or bottoming out at higher volume. I wouldn't know what color of wires but with some research you can find a stereo harness layout. I only run Rockford amps and all the ones i've had even older rockford have a bass knob option connection which looks like a telephone wire connector, it is usually on the RCA side of the amp.

I think he is right. There are two different bass knobs, one for 2007 and newer RF amps and one for the older models. The older bass knobs are a little harder to find but if you really want one, I'm sure you can track one down. Or you can try turning the amp down some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan