Denali Duramax: Expectation vs. Reality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most all of your observations are spot on. After 12,000 miles on mine I’m saying it is beyond my expectations. Everything you mentioned is pretty much true. I will also say that the HVAC system ….it’s pretty strong, and the night vision with the headlamps is very good.
The only thing that may be a little bit better about the 21 is that the infotainment system and rear seat entertainment may be a little better. You’re not 100% obligated to Google, and most functions work very well as long as you run a connected system.
If there is anything I could say I wanted more it would just be a larger fuelTank….30 gal would be great!

sschevelle4

Reaction score
I appreciate this as well. I haven’t been able to find anyone locally that has one with the diesel so I feel like I’m taking a bit of a risk while also being a pioneer. Similar to what someone else stated, I’m waiting on an order since January which just got built last week and is in transit to the dealer. Your feedback seems pretty much all positive. Anything you’ve found that you don’t like about it yet? (It’s OK if not).. haha

OP
OP
T

tthecchadd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate this as well. I haven’t been able to find anyone locally that has one with the diesel so I feel like I’m taking a bit of a risk while also being a pioneer. Similar to what someone else stated, I’m waiting on an order since January which just got built last week and is in transit to the dealer. Your feedback seems pretty much all positive. Anything you’ve found that you don’t like about it yet? (It’s OK if not).. haha
There is nothing that I dislike strongly. There are a few quirks that will probably be solved with more time getting acclimated. An example would be the overhead buttons where you operate the sunroof. A few times I tried opening the sunroof and thought it was broken only to find out I kept sliding the center console back. So, I have to lean over and actually look at the buttons.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many complaints you see about the 3.0 aren't actually about the engine itself. It's something like how the transmission shifts or a feature on the vehicle. The same type of complaints as you would see in any other section with a gas engine. if you take a look at the 3.0 section there are far fewer threads, and inside those threads there are far fewer actual legitimate complaints about the LM2. That should tell you all you need to know about the desirability of it.

WVBKW

Reaction score
I was hoping the Rivian would fill that need but the lack of captains seats kill it for me.
Agreed! My wife and I sat down last week to order a Rivian. I was so disappointed to find no captains. We have found with our boys without captain chairs the rear seats are worthless.

We were going to keep her Denali, but just use the Rivian as a toy for the both of us, so it was tempting to go ahead and accept the middle bench.

For now though we paused.

OP
OP
T

tthecchadd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most all of your observations are spot on. After 12,000 miles on mine I’m saying it is beyond my expectations. Everything you mentioned is pretty much true. I will also say that the HVAC system ….it’s pretty strong, and the night vision with the headlamps is very good.
The only thing that may be a little bit better about the 21 is that the infotainment system and rear seat entertainment may be a little better. You’re not 100% obligated to Google, and most functions work very well as long as you run a connected system.
If there is anything I could say I wanted more it would just be a larger fuelTank….30 gal would be great!
I agree with you on the larger tank. For a brief period, I was looking at the F150 and an expanded 36 gallon tank was an option.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many complaints you see about the 3.0 aren't actually about the engine itself. It's something like how the transmission shifts or a feature on the vehicle. The same type of complaints as you would see in any other section with a gas engine. if you take a look at the 3.0 section there are far fewer threads, and inside those threads there are far fewer actual legitimate complaints about the LM2. That should tell you all you need to know about the desirability of it.

Also far fewer owners....what percentage of 21/22s Tahoes and Yukons are diesel? 5%....2% or even less? Are there more than 10 active posters on here that own a Tahoe/Yukon diesel? I'll admit I'd buy one in a heartbeat to try it out, but I'd lean towards an extended warranty for sure if I was going to keep it past 50-60k miles, emission systems are a headache in any brand

As others have said, completely different driving experience so you're right, comparing to 5.3/6.2, throttle response is going to be different to say the least...

Rizop

Reaction score
Also far fewer owners....what percentage of 21/22s Tahoes and Yukons are diesel? 5%....2% or even less? Are there more than 10 active posters on here that own a Tahoe/Yukon diesel? I'll admit I'd buy one in a heartbeat to try it out, but I'd lean towards an extended warranty for sure if I was going to keep it past 50-60k miles, emission systems are a headache in any brand

As others have said, completely different driving experience so you're right, comparing to 5.3/6.2, throttle response is going to be different to say the least...
You bring up many good points . Although it’s almost impossible to find a warranty that covers the emissions systems besides the gm backed extended bumper to bumper warranty (not the gmepp). It only goes to 60K though and it doesn’t seem that every dealer offers it

doc5339

Reaction score
If you’re doing lots of highway miles, especially towing, the Duramax makes great sense.

If you drive mostly in-town doing stop-and-go, this modern direct injected turbo diesel will never be able to regen its DPF as often as it needs to. These factors along with more points of failure: DPF, SCR, DEF, Turbo detract from using it strictly as a low speed grocery getter and kid hauler.

Not knocking the 3.0 Duramax in any sense as I am a huge diesel fan. Loved my old 2002 VW Golf TDI, w2003 Silverado 2500HD Duramax (LB7), 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9, 2011 Audi A3 TDI, and current 2017 Jaguar F-Pace 20d.

Modern (post 2007) diesels are not the tractor engines they used to be with mechanical pumps that could handle filtered motor oil, biodiesel (B99), WVO, ULSD, Farm Diesel, or even JP-8.

These new diesels run extremely high fuel rail (common rail) pressures (20,000+ psi), and have complex emissions systems and have no tolerance for poor quality fuel with water and particles. They also are way more efficient, powerful, quieter, and don’t stink like my old mechanical VW Golf TDI 1.9 ALH, though these modern diesels are not as willing to drink any swill you give them, and they don’t last as long; at least their emissions systems don’t last as long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz