Stupid Question: How to effectively clean interior windows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I feel idiotic for having to ask this, but how do you all effectively clean your interior windows? Specifically the windshield?

In times gone by, I have used Windex and newspapers quite effectively in other vehicles. Nice clean windshield, no streaks, no residue.

On my 2013 Escalade ESV (and my wife's 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ), I cannot get the windshield clean to save my life!
The front door windows are tinted, so I don't use ammonia based cleaners. I had tried Invisible Glass, but it kept leaving residue that would show up on chilly mornings. IE fog the windshield, if that makes sense. Or, in direct sunlight, you can see a residue.

Searching on the internet, I found suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol to clean the windshield first, then Invisible Glass. That sorta worked better. Procedure was to spray alcohol on a microfiber rag, then clean part of the windshield. Do it again with a different side of the rag. Then do the same with the Invisible Glass.
I still had streaks and or residue.

Sooooo...thinking about it(which appears to be dangerous for me), I decided that I wasn't using enough of either. Meaning the rag was too dry. So, I drowned the rag in alcohol. Dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth. Then drowned a rag in Invisible glass. Then dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth.
And that left awful streaks and residue.

Please offer me advice so I can effectively clean the interior windows of my Escalade!

Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I feel idiotic for having to ask this, but how do you all effectively clean your interior windows? Specifically the windshield?

In times gone by, I have used Windex and newspapers quite effectively in other vehicles. Nice clean windshield, no streaks, no residue.

On my 2013 Escalade ESV (and my wife's 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ), I cannot get the windshield clean to save my life!
The front door windows are tinted, so I don't use ammonia based cleaners. I had tried Invisible Glass, but it kept leaving residue that would show up on chilly mornings. IE fog the windshield, if that makes sense. Or, in direct sunlight, you can see a residue.

Searching on the internet, I found suggestions to use isopropyl alcohol to clean the windshield first, then Invisible Glass. That sorta worked better. Procedure was to spray alcohol on a microfiber rag, then clean part of the windshield. Do it again with a different side of the rag. Then do the same with the Invisible Glass.

Sooooo...thinking about it(which appears to be dangerous for me), I decided that I wasn't using enough of either. Meaning the rag was too dry. So, I drowned the rag in alcohol. Dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth. Then drowned a rag in Invisible glass. Then dried the windshield with a new microfiber cloth.

Please offer me advice so I can effectively clean the interior windows of my Escalade!

Thanks
I use a mixture of vinegar and water with newspapers or a microfiber towel. Works great.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thanks
your windows should not be getting that dirty
do you smoke?
or drive around a lot with the windows down? particularly around dirt fields, farms, unpaved roads?
windows do not just get dirty on there own, there is some other cause.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
do you smoke?
or drive around a lot with the windows down? particularly around dirt fields, farms, unpaved roads?

I disagree. All the plastic in these offgasses and puts a film on the glass (and other parts where it's not noticed so much). It's ongoing. Forever.

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the off gasing of the plastics leaving an oil residue. I tried the alcohol before windex and it did work.

Lately I've been using a general cleaning concentration of purple power and that seems to okay as well for the oil. I don't really measure the dilution, just add some of the concentrate, maybe 2-3 ounces per 32 oz squirt bottle - ish.

The problem is the oil always shows back up in a few months.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. All the plastic in these offgasses and puts a film on the glass (and other parts where it's not noticed so much). It's ongoing. Forever.
well I live in here in the hot california central valley where the interior gets to be 150deg+ surrounded by dusty dirty farmland. I only need to clean the inside front & back side windows maybe 3-4 times a year and I drive around with the windows down often unless it's over 90deg. That explanation doesn't make sense to me.
I just cleaned the inside front window maybe 2 weeks ago with windex and some papertowels followed up with some ammonia free "sprayway" and i probably won't have to clean it again until spring time
the 4 door windows get cleaned more i have a gang of kids that can't keep there fingers off of them

If I go somewhere and there is a dirt road and I have the windows down then I fully expect that I am going to a get a full coating of dust every where inside
I have not smoked in 25+ years but used too and I know people that do and smoke leaves a "film" on everything, even inside the smallest cracks and on all surfaces

just seems to me that there must be some other reason. I have pretty fair vision I do not wear glasses or contacts, if the kids have been climbing around inside and managed to fingerprint the front inside glass I can see it, so I don't think I am missing anything.

maybe it happens more in other environments, I don't know
if my daily drive took me 4 miles down a dirt road I would expect dust even with the windows up all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to clean the inside of my windows, because my White German Shepherds put their noses all over them.

Using newspaper as the wiper material has always given me the best results.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you smoke?

I agree, but I have not found a cause. I do not smoke. I rarely drive with the windows down, as I am an A/C freak. I rarely drive on a dirt road. 90% of my driving is on highways. She doesn't use any coolant, so I don't think the heater cores are leaking. I don't use 'Armor-All' type products. I clean the interior surfaces with cleaning wipes and/or alcohol and a rag. Only thing I can think of is I use Weiman leather conditioning wipes on the seats. Maybe they are offgassing something.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice. I will get to work and see what helps. I will update this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts