Strike??? Thoughts, insights, predictions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ford created the assembly line in automotive factories in 1913. The federal government didn't have a say/regulate employment laws back then like they do now. Henry Ford paid his workers 2x the average wage at the time and also created the 5 day work week, believing that workers needed time to spend with their family.

The government didn't get involved (except for child labor laws) until 1935 with the National Labor Relations Act and started the Wage and Hour Division in 1938.

The first Auto union was created in 1935, mainly because of the lack of government/laws/regulations in place for the workforce

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my day job I work with companies on their employee experience and the topic of labor union relations often comes up. In my opinion, the king of union relationships was Herb Kelleher (RIP) of Southwest Airlines. He did a nice job of summing up his philosophy right here (starting at 18:55, as linked). Well worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts