Strike??? Thoughts, insights, predictions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have any feel for the upcoming possible auto worker strike? My understanding is that the side are quite far apart. GM offering approx 2-3% pay increase per year for 4 years with a lump sum $6000 payment. Union wants 11.5% increase per year with many old school benefits restored such as defined pensions.

My local dealer seems pretty certain a strike will happen and they have received a ton of inventory over the 2-3 weeks.

I am next up for an Ultimate allocation so I have a bit of interest in how this plays out.

To me, both side seems absurd with what they want. The reality will be almost right down the middle. I am looking at 5% increase per year for the 4 year contract and a lump sum payment along with a few tweaks for the membership.

We will see how this plays out as it will affect any industrial product, service provider across the USA.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I
Anyone here have any feel for the upcoming possible auto worker strike? My understanding is that the side are quite far apart. GM offering approx 2-3% pay increase per year for 4 years with a lump sum $6000 payment. Union wants 11.5% increase per year with many old school benefits restored such as defined pensions.

My local dealer seems pretty certain a strike will happen and they have received a ton of inventory over the 2-3 weeks.

I am next up for an Ultimate allocation so I have a bit of interest in how this plays out.

To me, both side seems absurd with what they want. The reality will be almost right down the middle. I am looking at 5% increase per year for the 4 year contract and a lump sum payment along with a few tweaks for the membership.

We will see how this plays out as it will affect any industrial product, service provider across the USA.
just read couple hours ago I think GM offered 20% raise. I have a 9/25 TPW for our high country suburban. A strike will also raise the value of our 21’ Tahoe to sell so interested to see what happens as well….

OP
OP
tjs3922

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 20% over 4 years get this much closer. Maybe they can avoid a strike and keep on negotiating.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 20% over 4 years get this much closer. Maybe they can avoid a strike and keep on negotiating.
I think the uaw president is the issue, I’m sure he’s trying to get his pockets filled too and is getting greedy. He’s made enough of a spectacle of himself by his videos throwing proposals in the garbage

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't give a rip either way. I buy only used stuff, and then run it for years. It may have an affect on those who always need new, prices will go up for sure.

You have to look at both sides though. Corporations have been making boat loads of money off blue collar for YEARS. Do they have to work hard (blue collar)? Not really comparatively to other trades, but still it's a job that doesn't get huge bonuses or stock options like the upper mgt.

It will win for both sides, always does. They (mgt) will whine and moan about how much it costs them for labor.......but will secretly do cartwheels of joy when they can slap an extra 20k on an escalade for some newer options.

THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@B-train idk man they are beginning to price themselves so high that the new sales are going to drop and people will keep their rigs longer. Especially 1500 trucks, those are getting out of control.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prediction: I don't see it happening. Line work at a vehicle manufacturer is really not that bad. Anything heavy is on a fixture. Even the tools. It's made so that anyone big or small strong or weak can work any point of it.

If anyone should go on strike it's the poor techs working flat rate at dealerships. They work harder in worse conditions with no guarantee of pay. It's a racket and surprised it's not a bigger issue.

Car techs get paid stupid low for what they do.

CDONNS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully not but I'm not too optimistic. My XL Denali had a TPW of this week, 9/11, so hopefully it gets out of the door before anything goes down, but we shall see. Does anyone know if the transportation side (factory to dealer) falls under the same union force? Watching this site closely: https://region8.uaw.org/uaw-local-276

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prediction: I don't see it happening. Line work at a vehicle manufacturer is really not that bad. Anything heavy is on a fixture. Even the tools. It's made so that anyone big or small strong or weak can work any point of it.

If anyone should go on strike it's the poor techs working flat rate at dealerships. They work harder in worse conditions with no guarantee of pay. It's a racket and surprised it's not a bigger issue.

Car techs get paid stupid low for what they do.

local guy that has a cell phone repair business said he worked as a GM tech for a couple years. said when he went and asked for a raise, he got shot down. his basis for asking was that he had one of the highest warranty approval percentages - because he could actually write up the request to where it'd get pushed through. now he may have been blowing smoke but that makes sense at least, and the dealership of course said no. Don't know how much he was asking for but he was still ticked years' later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo