Strange issue with courtesy lights on 2005 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightsaber33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a question for y’all. I have been having a strange problem with my 2005 Yukon XL. I have owned it for about a month now. The issue is the courtesy lights. When I open any of the four doors the courtesy lights come on as they should. However, the truck seems to think the doors close a couple seconds after they are open and the courtesy lights dim out then turn off (like they should if the vehicle is running and doors are closed) even though the doors are still wide open. This occurs even when the engine is off. I have even tried opening the driver door with engine off to see what happens. I get the courtesy lights and the door chime telling me keys are still in the ignition but again for only about 2 seconds then it stops dinging and the courtesy lights go off as if all is well. I do not have this issue with the rear lift gate or glass. The courtesy lights work there as they should. I have searched for a resolution but have only found issues with the courtesy lights/door ajar issue. That’s the opposite of my problem. I have shot the latches with WD-40 just as something to try but to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue? I can see one door sensor going bad causing this issue, but all four?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question, but other more knowledgeable folks on this Forum will chime in.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Yukon, not XL but should be the same for this issue. I'll have a look at mine and see what I can learn.

OP
OP
L

Lightsaber33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you. Yeah the front end is no different between the Yukon and xl

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a question for y’all. I have been having a strange problem with my 2005 Yukon XL. I have owned it for about a month now. The issue is the courtesy lights. When I open any of the four doors the courtesy lights come on as they should. However, the truck seems to think the doors close a couple seconds after they are open and the courtesy lights dim out then turn off (like they should if the vehicle is running and doors are closed) even though the doors are still wide open. This occurs even when the engine is off. I have even tried opening the driver door with engine off to see what happens. I get the courtesy lights and the door chime telling me keys are still in the ignition but again for only about 2 seconds then it stops dinging and the courtesy lights go off as if all is well. I do not have this issue with the rear lift gate or glass. The courtesy lights work there as they should. I have searched for a resolution but have only found issues with the courtesy lights/door ajar issue. That’s the opposite of my problem. I have shot the latches with WD-40 just as something to try but to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue? I can see one door sensor going bad causing this issue, but all four?

There was a fella on another forum with a similar issue, turned out to be a broken wire in the door.

OP
OP
L

Lightsaber33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OH! Now that is something to check out! Got to go in there anyways for another electrical issue.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a switch inside the door latch mechanism that tells the BCM if the door is open, locked, etc. Over time the contacts on those switches get corroded and/or dirty. The solution is to replace the door latch mechanism, or if you are mechanically inclined and want to save some money, you can disassemble the latch and clean the contacts. I've done it on mine and cleaning vs replacing takes an additional 30-40 minutes depending on your skill. And yes, all four doors can start acting up about the same time. On mine it was intermittent, but all the doors were doing it except the rear hatch.

OP
OP
L

Lightsaber33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds exactly like what is happening with mine. Looks like I have some cleaning to do. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe