Stolen SUVs and Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Apparently they’ve uncovered massive theft rings in Canada exporting stolen SUVs and Trucks to europe and the middle east.

This guy tracked his Yukon himself, in real time, and local police aren’t helping.

If this is happening in Canada, you can be sure it’s happening here.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Hard to not get political on this point, but all I will say is those who took an oath to serve and protect failed miserably. Nothing like having ALL the evidence /road map with X marks the spot. Pathetic......

Hopefully insurance made him whole. And, not maybe I'll be buying some air tags as well. Does anyone know how long they last? It was a great idea on his part!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not that I own anything worth 80k but what I do own I have put 3rd party gps devices in all of them, I would not have "waited" to get my vehicle bacl, this guy kind of seems like a pacifist. i couldn't just sit back and watch my vehicle leave the driveway let alone the country. no freaking way
if you have eyes on your vehicle and call the police and tell them you do they are going to show up and try to prevent someone getting killed over it.
and BTW airtags are great and all but do not work if there is not another apple device nearby
throwing $20 at a 80k vehicle in a attempt to prevent loss is laughable.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Hard to not get political on this point, but all I will say is those who took an oath to serve and protect failed miserably. Nothing like having ALL the evidence /road map with X marks the spot. Pathetic......

Hopefully insurance made him whole. And, not maybe I'll be buying some air tags as well. Does anyone know how long they last? It was a great idea on his part!
air tags are cheap, they last quit a while, but I wouldn't depend on one in this case they only work if there is a apple device with a internet connection within like 20'-30' feet or something like that the range is not far. specs say 30 meters but that would be direct line of sight in the best of conditions, know of any bluetooth device that works at 90 feet away?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... know of any bluetooth device that works at 90 feet away?

My headphones. lol

I found this out recently by accident. It's the ones I wear when mowing. I went from the very back of my yard to the front edge of my side yard and the music started skipping. I realized my phone wasn't in the cupholder. I found it at the very back, close to 150' away from where the music cut out. It was line-of-sight until I rounded the front corner of my house and that's right where it started skipping. Color me impressed.

If anyone's interested, these are the headphones. I bought 'em last July on a lightning deal ($49) and have only charged 'em once. Have ~30 hours of play out of 'em with the bass boost and Active Noise Cancelling on. The "battery low" warnings just started during my last mowing a few days ago. Pretty good sound and the ANC works great, even on my mower.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My headphones. lol

I found this out recently by accident. It's the ones I wear when mowing. I went from the very back of my yard to the front edge of my side yard and the music started skipping. I realized my phone wasn't in the cupholder. I found it at the very back, close to 150' away from where the music cut out. It was line-of-sight until I rounded the front corner of my house and that's right where it started skipping. Color me impressed.

If anyone's interested, these are the headphones. I bought 'em last July on a lightning deal ($49) and have only charged 'em once. Have ~30 hours of play out of 'em with the bass boost and Active Noise Cancelling on. The "battery low" warnings just started during my last mowing a few days ago. Pretty good sound and the ANC works great, even on my mower.
probably an exception given the battery strength on both devices, i can't see a airtag having much umph yet I did locate my kids ipad via wifi from over 1/2 a block away on the other side of the street in a neighbors front yard I think I was just lucky it was on the lip edge of signal.
i have one I am going to put on my kids bike and will have to do some testing to "verify" 90 feet, still no apple = no signal
gps/4g have much better chances of recovery

Reaction score
I hate over the head headphones, they make my head hot and mess up my hair, lol.

My Galaxy buds fit my ears great, cut out mower noise, and I've even slept with them in.

I also use ear bud type electronic shooting muffs when I'm at the range or using a loud power tool around the house.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate over the head headphones, they make my head hot and mess up my hair, lol.

My Galaxy buds fit my ears great, cut out mower noise, and I've even slept with them in.

I also use ear bud type electronic shooting muffs when I'm at the range or using a loud power tool around the house.

I think I have abnormally small ear holes. I haven't found a set of ear buds that will stay in place, especially once my ears sweat when working out in the yard. I've tried aftermarket memory foam ear cushions and all that jazz. When I use those foam ear plugs, I have to roll 'em down really tight and small. The best ear plugs for me are Skull Screws. I use ear buds when listening to music while working but even then I have to keep pushing them in because they lose a lot of bass response when they slide out.

The overhead ones maintain great sound and keep my hair out of my face. "Hot" is just part of this environment so I have to disregard that aspect here.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No need to get political.

I can safely say nobody here watches To Catch a Smuggler. Been going on for years out of the port in Miami and New Jersey and the rest of them.

The Cartel is always a step ahead and always will be. It is a cat and mouse game to catch them.

OP
OP
RoadTrip

RoadTrip

Reaction score

I use at least one in all of my vehicles, trailers and boats, along with a third party tracker in the more valuable. AirTags are a quick way to get an update on where your vehicle is. They use the cellular network relayed from an iPhone or Apple product. Given the popularity of Apple products, none of mine have failed to update, even in the vehicles I have in storage, since there is always someone on the property walking around. About 25-30 feet is the pickup distance. You can't beat them for $25/each.

Be aware that your Apple bearing passengers may receive a notice on their iPhones that lets them know there is an AirTag traveling with them, so don't plan on keeping it a secret if you transport friends.

If they think I'm being paranoid tracking my vehicles, ask them if they would have liked help locating their vehicle if they forgot where they parked at the shopping center, or would like to know if their mechanic is taking joy rides in their cars after repair. That usually works.

P.S. Battery life is usually about 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts