2018 Tahoe Stolen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kna4977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had my 2018 Tahoe stolen. Apparently there is a ring or probably several in my area that targets GM trucks and SUVs and they're really good at it. How does this happen? Onstar can't track it. Only message I got was from Onstar that the oil life was 0%. Nothing else. I think because of all this lack of key stuff and push button start it has only made it easier to take. They just disable onstar, hack the system and drive away without a trace but not sure. Still traumatized and in shock.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had my 2018 Tahoe stolen. Apparently there is a ring or probably several in my area that targets GM trucks and SUVs and they're really good at it. How does this happen? Onstar can't track it. Only message I got was from Onstar that the oil life was 0%. Nothing else. I think because of all this lack of key stuff and push button start it has only made it easier to take. They just disable onstar, hack the system and drive away without a trace but not sure. Still traumatized and in shock.

Wow! That is very sucky news. Hope they are able to find it for you.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Out of curiosity where do you live?

I will be living in hotels up and down I-95 for the next 5 weeks so will be keeping a close eye on my Hoe during the overnight hours.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^this is why I put a seperate gps tracker on my 2018 silverado and my 2012 yukon, otherwise you need to have lojack installed
onstar can track the vehicle but you have to file a police report first
Factory-Installed (Automaker) Systems
GM's OnStar
Stolen vehicle recovery is one of many features of GM's OnStar service, which is better known for its crash notification feature. If your car is stolen, you first file a report with the police, then contact OnStar immediately. If all goes well, the police and OnStar will work together to recover your vehicle. If the thief leads the police on a chase, OnStar can use a unique new feature, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, to assist police in their capture and to prevent accidents.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry man, where do you live? Start watching craigslist, offerup, letgo, etc. for parts.

Just put the transfer case in neutral and chocked the wheels...

OP
OP
K

kna4977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
South Dallas TX Oak Cliff. Onstar is a joke and easily disabled.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need A dummy OBD port with power only and fake wires

OR you can order some of those big HYBRID badges and put them on

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sucks, sorry to hear.

for others & for future reference,
put your key in an altoid tin or faraday bag.

they could have walked up to your door or somewhere close at your residence w/ a transmitter/extender that extends the range of your key. they can then unlock & start your vehicle. then drive off.

happened in my area. 1 vehicle stolen & multiple broken into, except mine. as i had my fob protected, after reading multiple articles a few years ago.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sucks, sorry to hear.

for others & for future reference,
put your key in an altoid tin or faraday bag.

they could have walked up to your door or somewhere close at your residence w/ a transmitter/extender that extends the range of your key. they can then unlock & start your vehicle. then drive off.

happened in my area. 1 vehicle stolen & multiple broken into, except mine. as i had my fob protected, after reading multiple articles a few years ago.

I've heard about this too but never understood if its actually true.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yes, & been around for a few years.

hell, one group made a bluetooth sniper rifle. they could read & access bluetooth devices in buildings a few hundred yards away.

tech is amazing & scary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14