Still leaks after 3 "fixes"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not if everyone keeps buying new vehicles at thousands over msrp
Right
A fool and their money, or the banks money. Spending money you don't have on a depreciating asset you want but don't need. Been there, done that, couldn't afford the t-shirt, so I financed it too.

Not no moe. Cash his king

Last edited:

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks more like it might be coming from higher up, but we can't see the side of the block above the oil cooler block. Maybe oil cooler line, valve covers, oil pressure sender, or cam position sensor.
+1 on this, and I would add it also could be a leaky valley cover gasket.

OP: I've had the EXACT SAME leak on my 2003 Yukon Denali XL for some time...and I live with it for now, as it's annoying but nowhere near catastrophic.

My rear main is, like yours, dry. Over the last year or two, I have DIY'd the cooler line block o-ring, the oil pressure sending unit (which had malfunctioned and was pinned at 80), and the valve cover gaskets. All of those have helped, but there's still that leak you've pictured.

Best guess (for me, and also quite possibly for you) is the valley cover gasket and/or the cam position sensor. (I'll get to mine eventually...)

Both are doable at home if you're inclined. If you do the valley cover gasket, I would also highly recommend while it's all torn apart to install a new cam position sensor, new knock sensors and grommets, a new oil pressure sending unit, and new intake manifold gaskets. Those are all common failure points on these rigs over time and they're all time consuming (or costly in labor) to get to individually--but they'll all be staring you in the face if you're replacing the valley cover gasket.

Hope that helps!

bladenbullet

Reaction score
add dye to the oil and scope it out with a black light...you or a competent technician should be able to isolate the source...

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read through and don’t recall the actual oil pan gasket being suggested. My leak appeared similar to yours and that gasket was the culprit.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOT :2cents:
GM needs to do a better job. And we the consummer can make that happen with our check book.
oil leaks are a EPA thing they need to FORCE them to make a gasket that will not leak for the life of the vehicle

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another leaker chiming in. My 2014 Denali (6.2 L) leaks in a similar place. At first I thought it was oil filter, but this wasn’t it. I’ll try the easy stuff ( o-ring, oil cooler) before progressing to the more time consuming stuff

davidavidd

Reaction score
Hi @solosys let me show you with photos and video where possibly your problem is. It happened to me and I almost went crazy looking for the source of that oil leak.

To confirm if this is your case you can put paper towels behind the engine (top part between the block and the oil valley cover) and check if they come out wet after a while, prepare to mistreat your ribs and think about the moms of those who designed this engine happy175.gif

You need to preferably buy a new valve lifter oil manifold (GM12571609 or equivalent to your truck), it includes cover + solenoids + gasket for only $300,00 o_O; but if you are on a budget it is also possible under your risk to change just the gasket by cutting the old gasket around the solenoids (GM 89017690 or equivalent).

This is my post when I had that problem, I changed the mentioned part and I didn't have a single leak again. The repair is easy, but once there take the opportunity to change gaskets and clean the entire upper part of your engine (you must remove the intake manifold), Mahle has an excellent kit.

Photos and video here:

Ps: Excuse my English, it is not my first language.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@davidav- Thanks for sharing your experience & video. Not sure about the OP, but my leak is nowhere near 2qts/day. More like a few drips a day. Hoping your info will be relevant and helpful to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Codered5557

Latest posts