Serious Engine Oil Leak! Tahoe / 5.3 / 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidavidd

Reaction score
Hello TY Forum, while I wait for the parts to repair my transmission I decided to take advantage of my free time looking for a big oil leak in my Tahoe (2WD - street use only). I share this video with you, waiting for your comments on it. The leak is massive (1 qt in two days!).

Tomorrow with daylight I will continue looking for the source of the leak. I'll share all the media to help others with similar problems.

Greetings from Colombia!

-- Update -- 04 / 15 / 2021

Today I made a new video to track the leak. Indeed the VLOM gasket is broken or worn (see video/photos below). This seems to be the main source of the leak, the pressure sensor is still dry, one or two rear main cover bolts have a little oil trail but nothing serious.

Tomorrow I am going to check the driver's side, under the head of the engine I also see what appears to be an oil leak (not coolant), stay tuned.

View attachment 276568
Old rag with umbrellas to contain the leak :signs8:

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello TY Forum, while I wait for the parts to repair my transmission I decided to take advantage of my free time looking for a big oil leak in my Tahoe (2WD - street use only). I share this video with you, waiting for your comments on it. The leak is massive (1 qt in two days!).

Tomorrow with daylight I will continue looking for the source of the leak. I'll share all the media to help others with similar problems.

Greetings from Colombia!

Greetings from Colombia!

Not sure what is going on with my reply. Anyhow, in the video, I can see oil coming down from the top of the engine right where the oil pressure sensor screws into the VLOM or valley cover. Get a camera up there for a closer look.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could also be a leak from the valley pan itself. Those bolts lose their torque over time and can cause significant leaks. New valley pan or at least a new gasket can be money well spent. Not hard to get the manifold off in order to get to it either.

OP
OP
davidavidd

davidavidd

Reaction score
@swathdiver / @Geotrash thanks for your reply. My main suspect is the VLOM gasket (GM part # 89017690), I've personally checked: the rear main seal (looks dry, thank God), oil pressure sensor and valve cover gaskets, all dry. Apart from the pressure sensor my engine does not have any more sensors with oil circulating at the top, of that I am sure.

The VLOM gasket was the only one that I didn't change last year because I didn't know that it was sold individually. A year ago the leak did not exist and buying the entire VLOM cover ($380+ inc. shipping and taxes to Colombia) seemed excessive to me in a preventive maintenance. If the leak is not from this gasket, it would be something more serious such as a cracked block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt