Sticky brake calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DurrtyBurB

Reaction score
I believe I found that both from calipers need replacing or both front hoses need replacing. I can feel a drag most noticeable when doing tight turns either in reverse or drive. Brakes and rotor were replaced a few weeks ago after selling the Baer rotors.

2189340E-FD37-467E-89B1-31FB441E4E4E.jpeg

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you cleaned the slide pins and bore, and regreased?
You could also have bad brake hoses.
(This isn't to say the pistons aren't hanging up, just cheaper things to look at)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I am doing calipers, I am also doing hoses at the same time. Cleanliness is next to Godliness when doing brakes and of course high temp lube of your choosing. Before I even remove a wheel I always check for bearing play as well.

OP
OP
DurrtyBurB

DurrtyBurB

Reaction score
Yeah cleaned up the slide pins when it first started happening . Ended up replacing both front hoses and issue still remains. The Motive bleeder made it much easier to bleed the brakes for sure. Purchased both from calipers and looking to do them tomorrow.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds more like sticking caliper pistons then. If that is the case the new calipers should fix the problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah cleaned up the slide pins when it first started happening . Ended up replacing both front hoses and issue still remains. The Motive bleeder made it much easier to bleed the brakes for sure. Purchased both from calipers and looking to do them tomorrow.

What brand and if GM or ACDelco, what part number did you purchase?

On mine, one piston on one caliper hung up a few months ago about a year after replacing everything but, and it took out the rotor so I had to do it all over again. Was able to purchase new calipers for the front and when inspecting the rears saw one was hanging up slightly and to stem the bleeding, rebuilt them myself with GM OE parts.

OP
OP
DurrtyBurB

DurrtyBurB

Reaction score
Ended up buying Brake Best calipers from Oreilly’s . These came with brackets ,guide pins and brake hardware . Did want to rebuild the old ones but couldn’t have the suburban for a few days. If they ever fail, the store is about 5 miles away. They came out to $98+tax for both.

C02FABF2-D813-447D-B5BE-3251A371600B.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sometimes it is way more cost effective just to buy the reman calipers and have the warranty. For all you know, the pistons are pitted from water in the fluid from not flushing the brake fluid when it should have been, and the rebuild attempt is a wasted effort.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The failing wheel bearing can cause a vibe feel when breaking if it is loose enough. It can also help set a code relating to the speed sensor. What kind of problem are you experiencing?

Just remember that the rotor and hub assembly are spinning inside the pad and caliper assembly. Even if I lift my vehicle for any other reason, I always check for play with the front and rear bearings and the steering and suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt