Steering Angle Sensor calibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B2sdad

Reaction score
Hey there Guys,

Need some guidance. Is anyone in here that happens to have a GM Tech II scan tool and live in the Austin Texas area? I need to check/recalibrate my steering angle sensor? After an alignment I am getting traction control/ Service Stabilitrak light on my dash. The alignment shop for some dumb reason does not have the abilty to reset the sensor. I have a fowell NT716 Scanner that has a SAS recalibration function, but my vehicle isnt supported...????

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a spreadsheet showing participating members around the country with Tech 2's that are willing to help out Forum members. One of the Admins here will provide you with the link. @Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Link to list in this thread:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following. Didn't know it could be recalibrated so if it can be, I need to do it on my 2007. I replaced it with a new one last year and didn't get it right on the install.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tech 2 Paths Document shows paths for the steering angle sensor positioning, but that does not mean that it is accessible on every year/model truck.

Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Antilock Brake System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Chassis > Special Functions

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tech 2 Paths Document shows paths for the steering angle sensor positioning, but that does not mean that it is accessible on every year/model truck.

Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Antilock Brake System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Chassis > Special Functions
Yep, the electronic brake control module is where I was looking for the special function. I could see the angle being reported by the sensor in the data display screen and it was 37º off with the wheel pointed straight ahead, but there was no option for calibration under special functions.

OP
OP
B2sdad

B2sdad

Reaction score
Yep, the electronic brake control module is where I was looking for the special function. I could see the angle being reported by the sensor in the data display screen and it was 37º off with the wheel pointed straight ahead, but there was no option for calibration under special functions.
Well there is where the problem for me seems to be. There are many references to resetting your steering angle sensor after an alignment. Many of them seem to have been done with aftermarket OB2 scanners. I am under the assumption that the GM scan tool of that era is or was able to relearn/reset the sensor? I’m sure it was done at dealerships after alignments were performed? Funny thing is I can’t seem to locate anyone that knows how to do it?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet that just a simple alignment would not require a sensor recalibration...
Unless it was an accident or some very major front end mishap. Or maybe steering wheel
repair of some sort.. Prob why it's not on the tech II..
I have an aftermarket Autel but I've never looked to see if it's capable as I haven't run
into this with any of the cars I work on (yet)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons