Started using E85 today ... it'll be interesting to see mileage results!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Truth be known, all the corn is white corn and goes to Frito-Lay -- keep eatin' those chips! I let my cousin, who does all the real farm work, decide what to plant and how much. I'm sure he'll consider any good cash crop.

Since recreational weed was legalized (state-wide, anyway) here in Colorado we have a lot more black market marijuana that is grown and shipped to other states, where it brings much more $$. Lots of illegal grow sites, including suburban houses. SMH

derfman00

Reaction score
Did my first E30 home brew (5 gal E85, 17 gal 89)

Will report after a few tanks

Edit more info

E85 is down to 2.03 and the regular was 2.29

Cost for the tank was reduced by $1.30 and octane should be 91, effectively yielding premium grade gas ($2.62) which "saves" $8-ish per fill up. We fill up once per week. If fuel economy is the same, this essentially this "pays" for the car washes (or a black bear tune over a year :driver:) Hopefully fuel economy will increase a little with this and a tune.

Last edited:

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that E85 contains no fuel additives. The negative effects of prolonged use of E85 over the long run is any ones guess at this point.

This is the reason that I prefer regular old fuel from top-tier stations. I recently changed over from E85 back to regular gas. The engine is running very smooth and strong , for a 5.3.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that E85 contains no fuel additives. The negative effects of prolonged use of E85 over the long run is any ones guess at this point.

This is the reason that I prefer regular old fuel from top-tier stations. I recently changed over from E85 back to regular gas. The engine is running very smooth and strong , for a 5.3.

Ethanol itself is a cleaning agent and keeps the injectors and pistons cleaner than gasoline with its additives. I know of guys who have only been using it for many years with no ill effects.

My last 41 tanks have been E85 or E30 and the motor runs like a top. I would venture to say that E85 is in fact a cleaner burning fuel and does not require additives. My owner's manual says not to run Ethanol with any additives, only with gasoline, for what that's worth.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're manually mixing E85 with other fuels, the other fuels will typically have additives. And by definition E85 has some gasoline already mixed in; whether or not the fuel provider has introduced the normal additives to the E85 mix is up in the air but highly probable.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're manually mixing E85 with other fuels, the other fuels will typically have additives. And by definition E85 has some gasoline already mixed in; whether or not the fuel provider has introduced the normal additives to the E85 mix is up in the air but highly probable.

That's right, my Sunoco mixes the Top-Tier 87 with E85 to create E30 or some facsimile of it!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first E30 home brew (5 gal E85, 17 gal 89)

Will report after a few tanks

Edit more info

E85 is down to 2.03 and the regular was 2.29

Cost for the tank was reduced by $1.30 and octane should be 91, effectively yielding premium grade gas ($2.62) which "saves" $8-ish per fill up. We fill up once per week. If fuel economy is the same, this essentially this "pays" for the car washes (or a black bear tune over a year :driver:) Hopefully fuel economy will increase a little with this and a tune.

Made some E30 tonight as well. Waited until the light came on and drove some more and then waited for dark and cooler weather. Pumped in 5 gallons of E85 and 21.75 gallons of Sunoco 87 and wound up with 22% alcohol content. That's the upper end of my "sweet spot". Old fuel was at 13%, 87 must've been 10% and E85 must've been 80% to deliver 22% and 91 octane.

Paid a combined $2.52 per gallons, $2.259 for E85 and $2.589 for 87. I was figuring to pump in 93 but it was $3.17 a gallon and that would've been an extra $13. Maybe next time when I can pay attention and get a good run out of it for testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645