P013a code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
I bought my 2013 Tahoe a little over a year ago, runs and drives great and looks brand new. With 142,5XX miles it drives better than most new cars on the lot.

I have 1 intermittent issue that’s starting to be irritating to me, last Mother’s Day I got my second oxygen sensor code for b1s2. I replaced it in my moms driveway after breakfast, and take the 2 and a half hour ride home and forgot all about it.

Fast forward 5 months to August , the same code came back. I bought another Bosch sensor and again went on with my life.

Here I am now 7 months later from August 2023, same code shows up again tonight.

I just cleared it out and went inside, but wth!! Wiring appears to be fine. It’s running smooth as always and gas mileage is still the usual, only thing I changed that could have upset the sensor is I filled up with e85.

Fuel trims idling are +/- 7 give or take, engine was in Open loop as it was still warming up to operating temps. 0 misfires, no exhaust leaks I can think of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
I bought my 2013 Tahoe a little over a year ago, runs and drives great and looks brand new. With 142,5XX miles it drives better than most new cars on the lot.

I have 1 intermittent issue that’s starting to be irritating to me, last Mother’s Day I got my second oxygen sensor code for b1s2. I replaced it in my moms driveway after breakfast, and take the 2 and a half hour ride home and forgot all about it.

Fast forward 5 months to August , the same code came back. I bought a new oem sensor and again went on with my life.

Here I am now 7 months later from August 2023, same code shows up again tonight.

I just cleared it out and went inside, but wth!! Wiring appears to be fine. It’s running smooth as always and gas mileage is still the usual, only thing I changed that could have upset the sensor is I filled up with e85.

I thought a bank 1 sensor 2 code was p0054

Fuel trims idling are +/- 7 give or take, engine was in Open loop as it was still warming up to operating temps. 0 misfires, no exhaust leaks I can think of.
Both sensors I have replaced were Bosch, I have read not some good things about them so now I know. P013a is slow response rich to lean.

I have went to rock auto and ordered a walker one 350-34494 , from my understanding walker is made by denso?

I went on O’Reilly’s website and seen the same sensor listed for $30 more and it has all 5 star reviews. Fingers crossed.

But any advice or insight is appreciated greatly

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
P013a slow response rich to lean Bank 1 sensor 2, post cat driver side.

I checked the wiring from the connector and everything checks out, no corrosion in the connector and I even put dielectric grease on it. But maybe Bosch isn’t a good fit for these rigs?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bosch are not great. they seem to foul super fast. but being after cat I just found it odd to be slow to switch as being after cat I don't remember seeing them switching rich and lean. like sensor 1 in front.

I'll take a look at the code the next time I get a min to pull it up.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so took a peek and I don't see much in the trouble shooting. looks like it mainly looks for the response time when you lift off the throttle and go into DE mode that shuts off the injectors, if it doesn't show lean within a certain amount of time compared to the front sensor it sets the slow code.

here's about all that looked related.

PXL_20240305_032010879~2.jpg

PXL_20240305_032345844~2.jpg

you can watch both sensor voltages in the scanner, don't need to manually hook a volt meter up. graphed would be best if it will do it. up to temp and in closed loop when the front sensor is switching pretty quickly, see how the rear compares to the front. of they both peak and valley the same voltage, it right be the sign of a cat degrading. compare to the other side that's not setting a code too.

there's talk of a sensor heater reset. I've never seen this in a scanner before, so it may not apply but I've also never looked for it.

see how the new sensor reads.

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
so took a peek and I don't see much in the trouble shooting. looks like it mainly looks for the response time when you lift off the throttle and go into DE mode that shuts off the injectors, if it doesn't show lean within a certain amount of time compared to the front sensor it sets the slow code.

here's about all that looked related.

View attachment 422961

View attachment 422960

you can watch both sensor voltages in the scanner, don't need to manually hook a volt meter up. graphed would be best if it will do it. up to temp and in closed loop when the front sensor is switching pretty quickly, see how the rear compares to the front. of they both peak and valley the same voltage, it right be the sign of a cat degrading. compare to the other side that's not setting a code too.

there's talk of a sensor heater reset. I've never seen this in a scanner before, so it may not apply but I've also never looked for it.

see how the new sensor reads.
Thank you very much for this, I hooked up the scan tool today to check things out and the permanent code for it is gone now and the monitor for it says ready.

I plan on throwing the new one in just to be sure, and maybe taking the Bosch one and putting it on bank 2 just for fun and playing around with it. If the code for bank 1 appears again I’ll go through the troubleshooting process for it. I really appreciate your help. With it happening months in between I wouldn’t doubt it’s the sensors at all

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
Old sensor is still in, never got to it this weekend , I put a bottle of high mileage Techron in a half tank and drove 60 miles. Pulled up live data and everything appears fine. Stored code is gone and all monitors ready except Evap, so I’m not sure what its deal is. I’ll continue to keep my eyes peeled, thankyou for your help and advice

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The walker o2's are cheapo.. avoid them
NGK and Delphi/ AC Delco work much better
I do Techron Concentrate every oil change in all my cars... It's magical !!!!!!!

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
The walker o2's are cheapo.. avoid them
NGK and Delphi/ AC Delco work much better
I do Techron Concentrate every oil change in all my cars... It's magical !!!!!!!
What do you think of Bosch sensors? Is that a pretty common occurrence with GM vehicles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan