Started using E85 today ... it'll be interesting to see mileage results!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 12.3 MPG on E85 and 14.3 on regular these readings are over the span of 5-5500 miles on each fuel. The 2011 Tahoe 5.3 was tuned by BB . Now I put 3-4 tanks of E85 through the 2011 Tahoe to keep the engine clean once a year. Regular old gas is my preferred fuel.

Your results may differ.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Interesting times. We’re in Orange County, Ca and smack dab between the major refineries of LA & SD. Our fuel is delivered from LA. Due to the additional distance it takes to deliver it, the price goes up to 30¢ a gal more.

There’s biodiesel and e85 down south in SD, but the weird thing I’m seeing now is semi’s carrying pods of hydrogen for hydro gas stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only run E85 in my Tahoe, I can't remember the last time I ran premium. My daily commute is less than 20 miles round trip, so I don't really notice any mileage decrease. I get anywhere between 10-14 in city driving. It's a 6.2, I don't expect the gas mileage to be any better than that, haha. I do notice power difference between E85 and premium, that is why I run E85, it's cheaper and makes more power.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wrong earlier in my post about power. I forgot that power is simply how fast energy is used. So, even though there may be less energy per gallon in E85, it uses the E85 slightly faster, which leads to slightly more power.

Man, I appreciate you coming back with this.

I'm not arguing, because IDK, but that sounds like voodoo to me.

joe

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to agree with you Joe, now I'm not so sure about all that. Our farmers have increased the yield of an acre of corn every year and in 2017 an acre of corn yielded an astounding 176.6 bushes. Each bushel has 2.87 gallons of ethanol in it but the leftover has many other uses.

I figured I could supply my truck with 1000 gallons of E85 and would use just 1.6 acres of corn per year and 200 gallons of gasoline to run E85 @ 80% alcohol.

IDK man, it seems to me that, regardless of the yield per acre, there'd be more available for food if less of it was being used to destroy carburetors.

The 176.6 doesn't help me without a yield number, and date, to compare it to.

joe

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK man, it seems to me that, regardless of the yield per acre, there'd be more available for food if less of it was being used to destroy carburetors.

The 176.6 doesn't help me without a yield number, and date, to compare it to.

In 2002 the yield was 129.3 bushels and acre. I've heard and accepted that premise too Joe but not so sure now that it is true. One thing for sure, the government should not be forcing companies to put ethanol in gasoline and forcing us to buy it by limiting the ethanol free fuel. I see articles showing it does and does not increase food costs but deem those sources seen as not trustworthy, CNN and the UN for example.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I was wrong earlier in my post about power. I forgot that power is simply how fast energy is used. So, even though there may be less energy per gallon in E85, it uses the E85 slightly faster, which leads to slightly more power.
Power is the result of a release in energy from combustion, and how effectively you can harness that energy. Using more fuel doesn't inherently provide more energy, especially when you're dealing with stoichiometric ratios here.

The reason why ethanol gives more power isn't because of any particular increase in usage. It's due to 2 things

1. A cooling effect which increases the density of the air/fuel charge, thus placing more oxygen in the cylinder

2. A higher effective octane allowing for more spark advance

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2002 the yield was 129.3 bushels and acre. I've heard and accepted that premise too Joe but not so sure now that it is true. One thing for sure, the government should not be forcing companies to put ethanol in gasoline and forcing us to buy it by limiting the ethanol free fuel. I see articles showing it does and does not increase food costs but deem those sources seen as not trustworthy, CNN and the UN for example.

Thanks man.

I agree about gov't muscle, and those two sources are on my 'Ignore' list too.

joe

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I figured I could supply my truck with 1000 gallons of E85 and would use just 1.6 acres of corn per year and 200 gallons of gasoline to run E85 @ 80% alcohol.

I got you covered, @swathdiver, since my little 20 acres in Illinois is always half corn, half soybeans. More than enough for your ethanol consumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518