Started using E85 today ... it'll be interesting to see mileage results!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastscirocco

Reaction score
Premium was $3.49/gallon and E85 was $2.15

I filled up with the E85 and reset average miles per gallon.
It'll be interesting seeing if I get more power and how much fuel I consume.
After filling up I reset the average miles per gallon display.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score

I really wish we had E85 where I live. I'm on the Oregon Coast but over in the valley theres a bunch of stations that have E85 available. If I lived there I would have started using it all the time depending on price.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 (85% ethanol) is all about clean burning, not fuel efficiency. There is less energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in regular gasoline, so you should expect to get lower mileage on E85, and less power.

OP
OP
fastscirocco

fastscirocco

Reaction score
E85 (85% ethanol) is all about clean burning, not fuel efficiency. There is less energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in regular gasoline, so you should expect to get lower mileage on E85, and less power.

Yes I'm expecting to get lower mileage, however my understanding is that you can get more power from it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With that price spread you'll be saving at about a nickel a mile in fuel costs, that adds up quick into good savings.

Tell me wha you are driving and I can tell you what to expect if you like.

You're not going to see the full benefits on the first tank of fuel. First, there's still a remnant of gasoline which will knock down the alcohol content. 2nd, the truck will relearn as time goes on, engine and transmission performance. By the third tank you should be getting the full effect.

Yes, the engine will make more power, not less. The effective R+M is higher than 93, about 105 for 80% E85. Cheap race gas!

I was never going to use the stuff until the night before a hurricane showed up and the gas lines were long but nobody was at the pump with the yellow handle!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, you're wrong on a few points....

1) Ethanol is not about "clean burning." It's about making fuel out of renewable resources.
2) E85 has an effective octane rating of over 100. So it's kinda like racing fuel. The computer will be able to use more aggressive timing without detonation/pinging, which will yield a slight increase in power. It's not like the engine will belt out an extra 50 hp, but there will be a power increase.

Reaction score
My 2012 Denali XL gets about 9-10 mpg in town and 13-14 highway on E85. On 93 octane it gets 12-13 in town and 16-17 highway. My AFM (V4 mode) is tuned off, and A/C is usually on most of the time.

Factory says only a 7hp (403 vs 410) peak when on E85, but that's just at peak. On E85 there is more power throughout the rpm range and "under the curve". You will notice a difference from right off idle and at part throttle.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

despite the hybrid it's still costing me 0.174 cents/mile on average

it's pure BS because Sacramento,CA the fuel is 3.499 for premium fuel at Chevron. so it's pretty obvious the gas stations are making a killing right now.. with the artificially high prices.. I hate going to cheap stations they rip you off pumping low octane fuel (87) at the 91 octane price (meaning you don't get what you pay for)..

it was pretty obvious I was getting 18mpg and down shifting to 3rd gear often even on slight hills..

my last fill up was 39.93 MPG 88 miles driven(city miles) I verified it pumped correctly.. (parked on a slight down hill to make sure it fills it up ALL the way)...
0.107 cents per mile.. I aggressively used 4 banger mode and electric ...pushed it to the limits getting to 30MPH is electric mode and quickly getting it from 30 to 41MPH and hitting cruse control to receive my 41-43MPG instant mpg rating...

if you really want to you can do the
Aerodynamic mod and get a

hybrid bumper/air dam and hybrid tail lights/square D-pillar

it will gain you 2-3mpg by lowering the coefficient drag to 0.34 from 0.367.. it's about 1,000 to do the mod \

but you can get the cheapest part being the large air dam for 120$

Reaction score
despite the hybrid it's still costing me 0.174 cents/mile on average

it's pure BS because Sacramento,CA the fuel is 3.499 for premium fuel at Chevron. so it's pretty obvious the gas stations are making a killing right now.. with the artificially high prices.. I hate going to cheap stations they rip you off pumping low octane fuel (87) at the 91 octane price (meaning you don't get what you pay for)..

it was pretty obvious I was getting 18mpg and down shifting to 3rd gear often even on slight hills..

my last fill up was 39.93 MPG 88 miles driven(city miles) I verified it pumped correctly.. (parked on a slight down hill to make sure it fills it up ALL the way)...
0.107 cents per mile.. I aggressively used 4 banger mode and electric ...pushed it to the limits getting to 30MPH is electric mode and quickly getting it from 30 to 41MPH and hitting cruse control to receive my 41-43MPG instant mpg rating...

if you really want to you can do the
Aerodynamic mod and get a

hybrid bumper/air dam and hybrid tail lights/square D-pillar

it will gain you 2-3mpg by lowering the coefficient drag to 0.34 from 0.367.. it's about 1,000 to do the mod \

but you can get the cheapest part being the large air dam for 120$
Is this on E85?

The OP drives a 2014 Yukon XL Denali and wondering what kind of mileage to expect on E85, not a hybrid on 91 or 93, but thanks for sharing...... lol

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645