Standard Do / Do Not lifted towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am researching what it takes to tow safely with a lifted vehicle and how it impacts your tow / payload capacity.

I know very little about trucks, so I'm hoping for this to turn into a resource for other searches on the subject.

Let's say a 6" lift with 35's. I know you'll need an appropriate drop hitch of high quality(bulletproof?). Bags are probably a must at that point.

What are the standard callouts for this?

EDIT:
Basic power plant / drivetrain
Even with the HD trailering option, for a Tahoe that's still the 5.3 and 3.42 gears. 33"+ tires and any sort of lift is going to really impact that 5.3 performance. I'd venture to say the 6.2 would be a much better starting point if you plan to both lift and tow. Ideal scenario would see at least 3.73's too.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Drwinlied I don't tow but I'll give you my 2 cents since nobody has responded yet.

To start, the 5.3 will be enough power for any towing you'll be doing. You'll be looking at regearing or a 4l80E long before you need to touch the 5.3.

The taller your truck gets you'll have to get the receiver down to the level of the trailer or whatever your towing so that everything stays level. Some drop hitches have additional brackets that mount to the frame so that it can support the tow load in the event you are running like a 6 inch drop hitch.

It can be hard to build a rig on paper. I like to install parts, see how the Tahoes behaves to the new changes and then adjust from there. Get your Tahoe, lift it to where you want it, and then tow with it and reinforce your weak points from there. Depending on what you are towing - airbags might be nice, regrearing might make sense, you transmission might die. You find these things out then you take it from there.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And perhaps do some research calling various vendors of lift kits and tell them your plan. Since there’s more than one way to lift your rig them knowing how you plan to use it is important.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a pic of my 08 with 2" level and 33's (tow pakagage, 3.42s etc) and rear MOOG HD springs. no bags. only extra was a brake controller. flat gound was no issue. I hit some hills going through western VA and it did OK, a bit sketchy going uphill through the mountains. if you are running 35s i would think 3.73s are a must to keep the power to the ground.

IMG_5160.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505