Stabilitrak question (not a issue )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does it work I had a panel van HHR in move out of the lane quickly so did I (there was no cars next to me since I was in the slow lane of a two lane exit that branched out into 4 lanes 2 lefts and 2 rights turn lanes) and i was picking the fast right turn lane
(exiting at normal speed listed )
it locked up the wheel from me over steering??

i guess this is normal.. i just wanted to learn more how it works.... the more i know about it the better informed user i'm ..

everything was fine for me and him I had though there was an object in the road or something (normally that is the reason for someone doing that) I was not tailgating or anything (I was just in the same lane as him a bit further back) it was on a exit

I was expecting a green light but they poorly set up yellow light(not long enough for the size of the intersection being 6 lanes)

I had to brake at the same time (due to the light changing) because they have it setup for left turn lanes on the 6 lane first ( i had assume they have the uturn right away since most intersections in the area do.)

it's just a really awkward exit as it splits to 4 lanes (2 left turn and 2 right turn)

I was going 45mph which is the "recommend" exit speed...

the Tires did squeal

I though the steering shaft broke or something locked up (internally) it got stiff no movement possible momently..

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you lost power bud. In no possible scenario, minus the truck shutting down, would stabiltrac , or locking up the brakes cause you to lose steering.

Pre abs days you could turn wheel with brakes locked up but it didn’t mean you would go where you wanted the vehicle to go.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you lost power bud. In no possible scenario, minus the truck shutting down, would stabiltrac , or locking up the brakes cause you to lose steering.

Pre abs days you could turn wheel with brakes locked up but it didn’t mean you would go where you wanted the vehicle to go.
Yes GM has a recall for electrical power steering but only seems to apply to 2015+(some 2014 trucks)
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/gm-recalls-trucks-suvs-for-steering-problem/

I thought this would not be an issue since there is always plenty of power available..with the 185amp HVDC to DC step down...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick