G80 not available with vehicles with optional StabiliTrak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was scrolling through a 2003 Suburban trim option flyer and saw this note on the footnote. I didn't know this. I guess it makes sense because those systems kinda work opposite each other.

Does this mean that all 4x4 suburbans with StabiliTrak have open differentials? I guess, if that note is true, at least for the 2003 models?

Did this change in later years, and maybe later generations? StabiliTrak can be turned off, I believe?

I'm just curious. All my 3 GMT800 trucks have the G80, and 2 are 2wd. None have StabiliTrak though.

Our '20 passenger van does have StabiliTrak and also an open differential. Obviously, different vehicles and a large gap of years there.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if it has stability control, then it also has traction control (and ABS too).
The ABS / traction control can redirect power away from the tire that is not spinning fruitlessly, instead of the G80.

OP
OP
strutaeng

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse me ...
On what I think is page 13 of this '03 bubba brochure
it shows power camper mirrors, which are normally (only?) available on 2500 bubbas.

Can my Tahoe make full use of those? Partial use of those?
Interesting. I have never seen power camper (heated) mirrors. My 06 2500 Suburban doesn't have those, just the regular power folding with the signal lights blinkers.

Maybe look up a wiring diagram and see if you can wire them in? But where would you buy them? I wonder how you control them? The owners manual probably has information.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was scrolling through a 2003 Suburban trim option flyer and saw this note on the footnote. I didn't know this. I guess it makes sense because those systems kinda work opposite each other.

Does this mean that all 4x4 suburbans with StabiliTrak have open differentials? I guess, if that note is true, at least for the 2003 models?

Did this change in later years, and maybe later generations? StabiliTrak can be turned off, I believe?

I'm just curious. All my 3 GMT800 trucks have the G80, and 2 are 2wd. None have StabiliTrak though.

Our '20 passenger van does have StabiliTrak and also an open differential. Obviously, different vehicles and a large gap of years there.

must have been only for a certain period or something

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 2500 Suburban doesn't have those, just the regular power folding with the signal lights blinkers.
As in, the big rectangles? Too big for me.
I want SMALLER mirrors (like the way the GMTk2xx suv mirrors are smaller than their pickup truck counterparts).

OP
OP
strutaeng

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As in, the big rectangles? Too big for me.
I want SMALLER mirrors (like the way the GMTk2xx suv mirrors are smaller than their pickup truck counterparts).
It's just the regular mirrors same as the 1500 Tahoes and Suburbans.
What kind of G80 does it have? Gov-Lock, or some other kind?
Yes, still the G80 made Eaton. Actually unless they changed in the latest generation of trucks, that's all GM has ever installed in full sized trucks in a LONG time. There's a vintage Eaton video of them showing how it works on their proving grounds somewhere in Michigan....on 1970s square body trucks!

Let me find the video and I'll edit it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts